I decided to explore three articles referring to college debt. This is a subject I’m not particularly well versed in, but it impacts me and my family as well as people I know. In applying to colleges, I have learned that achieving a higher learning degree is expensive. I have had to do my own research on ways to supplement money for a university degree. These articles illustrated how deeply college debt impacts the United States and which specific populations are affected by this epidemic.

The total student loan debt in the USA is $1.52 trillion. States with larger population naturally have the larger student loan and, subsequent debt, amounts. Surprisingly, the largest increase in student loans in the past ten years has come from the age 60-69 demographic, however prominent this increase is, this is also the age group with the lowest increase. The age group demographic of 30-39-year-olds have faced the greatest increase in amount. However, people under the age of 30 still owe the most money. These statistics are provided by Forbes.  

My favorite article that I looked at was the third:  Betrayed By the Dream Factory.  This postulated ideas based on the massive student loan debt in America that stated college as potentially not being worth the lifetime of debt and loans it gives people. I think that obtaining a higher education is more than worthwhile, but the severity of financial injury it is bestowing upon the next generation of Americans is not worthwhile. How well does a college education face up to a crippling debt that quells the dreams one went to college to realize in the first place?

Most of all my research and annotations made me a little scared for how wanting to obtain a college degree is going to impact my financial situation in the future. I think that there are a plethora of solutions that could be implemented to lessen, or even relieve, the massive debt on students’ shoulders, and I think it is the American government’s responsibility to deal with this major issue.

I annotated articles regarding College Debt on Now Comment HERE

CC BY-SA 4.0 The College Debt Crisis in America by Ari is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Alana 3 days ago

Hello Ari,
    We really thought your article was pretty interesting, student debt is a leading issue in our generation. You tackled the topic in a succinct way and we appreciated the links you included in your article. We also like how you later commented and corrected your writing to clarify your previous statements and explain more of your reasoning. We think you could expand your essay by connecting the student debt problem to your own life or experiences to make your writing more interesting.

Alana and Chelsea

2. Ari 4 days ago

Small corrections: First of all the way you worded the different age groups percentages of student debt was very confusing and some elaboration would be nice. Second of all you say you annotated three articles but I only see Forbes and Betrayed by the dream factory. Now that that’s out of the way I can actually tell you how I feel about this. I love it. I agree with you that the student debt crisis is yet another huge problem in today’s society that has been created for the younger millennial and gen-Z generations by the baby-boomer generation. It definitely surprised me that these baby-boomers had any portion of the college debt at all because not only did they graduated from college so long ago, college was also much cheaper back then. To answer your question about whether a college tuition is worth it anymore due to the economic strains it puts on graduates is increasingly becoming no but isn’t there for everyone yet. First of all it has to do with what you are getting a degree in and how much the place you are going costs. For example when I went to an intro to engineering at MSU (Michigan State University) camp this summer they said you could right out of college get a job paying roughly 40,000 to 60,000 a year. Compare that to minimum wage (being generous is about $10 an hour some places) multiplied by 2100 hours worked in a year if you work 40 hours a week for 52 weeks you get roughly $21,000 a year. My brother goes to NYU and I know his annual tuition is about 70,000 a year multiplied by 4 years is $280,000. Take that 280000 and divide it by the difference in salaries and it takes roughly 7 – 14 years to work off that tuition assuming you have 0 cost of living. If you factor in cost of living and interest you can tack on another 6 years of work that’s 13 – 20 years of your career paying off college tuition out of a 40 year work career. The question is whether you think 13 – 20 years of a 40 year work career is fair for being able to work any job you want because you went to a prestigious college. Do you?(BTW NYU is one of the most expensive colleges so its usually going to be on the end closer to 13).