With the implementation of government policies, the effects of light pollution, such as washing out starlight in the night sky, interfering with astronomical research, having adverse health effects, and wasting energy, can be lessened or even reversed. 

Currently, most of the world experiences light pollution at an extreme level. The article “Nighttime Light Pollution Covers Nearly 80% of the Globe” largely discusses exactly what the title says: most people cannot see the stars in the night sky because light pollution covers nearly 80% of the globe. The author explains how a recent study found that  “light pollution has intensified in the past half-century, increasing about 6% each year in North America and Europe.” The alarming rate at which light pollution is occurring exposes how without governmental regulations, it could get even worse. 

Even though light pollution is apparent in every day (or night) life, some people still don’t stress the importance to change it. This Is the Worst Kind of Pollution for Your Health,” explains how air pollution particles from the burning of coal are far more dangerous to your health than those from other sources. It exemplifies how many people do not place great importance on light pollution because it is often overshadowed by other types. Or perhaps, some viewpoints may look at the good aspects of light pollution. In a scientific journal entry, “Two Good Things About Light Pollution,” author J. R. Percy explains how light pollution is good because it “makes for a pretty view of earth at night” and “it provides science, technology, societal, and environmental activities for students.”

In the end, more and more adverse affects from climate change are being researched. Light pollution has affects beyond literally seeing stars in the sky. This article explains how “artificial night time light from sources such as street lamps affects the growth and flowering of plants and even the number of insects that depend on those plants for food.” It shows shows that light pollution can impact the natural environment in complex ways that may be hard to predict. 

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Expansion of Light Pollution by Alexandra is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.