The 2 main identity in my shadow box is being male and Yemenis. When people look at me they see, a terrorist, bomber, and stupid. Which is the dominant narrative. Many people assume that I’m going to kill them because of the way I look and because of my ethnicity. My point of view which is the counter narrative, which that I am smart,intelligent, and a caring person. My gender identity is being a male. Which is why I have chosen to include pictures of myself because it shows that I am smart and that i’m going the stereotypes which is being a cooker. Another important object is Yemenis flag because it represent who I am and my family was born there. I am a proud Yemenis and I am not afraid to speak Arabic.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Don’t Judge Me by Khalid is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Estela 8 months ago

Khalid,
    Your statement is extremely empowering. My favorite part to read was your point of view “I am smart, intelligent, and a caring person”. I can tell just by your picture that you are very brave, you cherish your culture and stand behind your beliefs. Thank you for sharing this!! Awesome job!!!

Best,
    Estela

2. Alexa 8 months ago

Dear Khalid,
    This is such an amazing post. I can relate to you very much in the way that I am Mexican and have been called and viewed as stupid. You have to be brave, true to yourself, and stick up for what you believe in!

3. Calvin 1 year ago

Dear Khalid, I love how you show pride in who you are! What are some things that you would have put into your shadowbox? Good job writing about your counter and dominant narratives! I would love to hear more from you. Thank you for sharing with us!

4. Jennifer 1 year ago

Dear Khalid,

Oh my lord this is so great! I really like how you talk about your counter and dominant narratives and how you talked about how you feel when people make assumptions about you and how racist people can be. I really thought this was a really good summary. GOOD JOB BBY!!!!

from, jennifer

Khalid 10 months ago

thank you for reading my blog . the part of your comment that stoodout to me was when you incuriged me that it is good

5. Jadyn 1 year ago

Dear Khalid,
    I like how you represented who you really are and showed why you aren’t what society claims you are. The Bible in the picture is also great because it shows your religion and beliefs. I also like how you represented your culture. I hope to see more work in the future.

Jadyn W.

6. Kanika 1 year ago

Dear Khalid

I like how you showed that stereotypes won't hold you back and how you showed a picture of the bible because I think that very empowering that your not afraid or ashamed to show that you believe in GOD.

7. Jeheim 1 year ago

I can relate with this because that is racial profiling and as a black person living in the U.S. we are profiles as a nigger or killer.