Rags to riches. Started from the bottom, and now you at the top. That’s what most of us dream of. The United States is filled with opportunity. No matter where you came from or where you started, you can end up in a good place later on on your life. That’s the reason why so many immigrants want to come here and start a new life and make it better for their families. Examples of these would be people from the trenches or projects, or the bad parts of town who made it out and into the music industry, or really good actors that came from nothing but now worth millions. In America, it just feels like everything is possible. “All people have an equal and inalienable right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of their own happiness” (Amadeo, 15).

In the 1920s, it shifted from the Founders’ dream of opportunity to the acquisition of material things” (Amadeo, 6). Let’s take a minute and think about this for a second. Do you really want to be working in a 9 to 5 job everyday of the week, or do you want freedom? Personally, I’ll take the second option. After all, to be American, means to be free.

Sources:

• Michels, Eva. “What Is the American Dream?” The American Dream – What Is the American Dream?, Eva Michels, america.day-dreamer.de/dream.htm.
  • “What Is Your Definition of the American Dream ?” HYPEBEAST, HYPEBEAST, hypebeast.com/forums/off-topic/110451.
  • Amadeo, Kimberly. “What Is the American Dream Today?” The Balance Small Business, The Balance, www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-american-dream-today-3306027.
  • https://www.vogue.com/article/met-gala-2017-migos-jewelry-red-carpet-bling

CC BY-SA 4.0 The American Dream by Andre is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Skye 2 weeks ago

I agree that the American dream is often interpreted as that idea of “rags to riches.” Using the current wave of rap artists as an example is a great way to show how that idea is being represented in mainstream culture. I really enjoyed your description of the appeal that still remains in the U.S. Freedom is the broad idea, and it conflicts with a desk job.

2. Abigail 2 weeks ago

Andre, you have the choice to do and be what you want in life. America is known as the land of the free. But it is up to you to decide what that freedom means. You make a compelling argument, but maybe in the future, you might try to define what it is to be free. I have found in life freedom constitutes many things to different people. Don’t let anyone else tell you how to be free. Live your dream.

3. Mack 2 weeks ago

Andre, just keep your head straight and focus on what you want to be in life. You can be whoever you want, you just have to work for it. Keep your head high and avoid all the people that are trying to bring you down.