What is American culture? American culture can be defined by many different people in many different ways. The internet defines culture as beliefs, behaviors, and objects that are commonly correlated with members of a group or society(Cliffnotes 1). American culture heavily relates to American values in the fact that values are a part of everyone’s culture; within each culture, there is a set value or values relating to that culture. Many different cultures value many different things based on religion, social standards, etc.

People all over America have different viewpoints and ideas about American values, beliefs, culture, and beliefs. On LiveScience, Zimmerman allows the reader to view American culture through a whole different lens than they originally viewed it. She describes America as a “melting pot” (Zimmerman 6) for cultures from all over the world; I found this interesting because there is not one designated culture in the U.S. there are many, and they coexist with one another and that is what makes America so special.

Many people have different opinions on what they value. Some common values in America are independence, equality, informality, and directness(International Student 2-5); when speaking of these “common values”, there are many ways you can define these terms in a way that best fits yourself. Although many people have a different religion, culture, heritage, race, etc. then one another we have started to learn to set aside those differences and coexist with one another because on the inside we’re not so different.

“American Culture.” American Culture, International Student, www.internationalstudent.com/study_usa/way-of-life/american-culture/.

“Culture and Society Defined.” What Is Anatomy and Physiology? www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guides/sociology/culture-and-societies/culture-and-society-defined

“United States of America (USA) – Culture, Society and Religion.” Expat Focus, www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-usa-population-values.

Zimmerman, Kim. “American Culture: Traditions and Customs of the United States.” Live Science, Live Science, 13 July 2017, 10:05 pm, www.livescience.com/28945-American-culture.html.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Discovering A New Views On American Culture by Sloane is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jason 2 months ago

Hi Sloane,

I definitely agree that culture relates to values to great extent. There are many ideas, values, and beliefs in America. Also, I agree to your statement about the variety of religion in the U.S. This is why we have “freedom of religion” in the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. I admire how you acknowledged how everyone is different when it comes to some things. Your argument on American creed is one of the best I’ve seen.

2. Anna 2 months ago

Sloane, thank you for informing me more about American culture. I strongly agree that America is a “melting pot” because every culture and their unique ideals makes up a integral part of who we are and our values as a society. America is diverse, and it thrives through our differences. A source you may want to look into for more information is https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-09-13/diversity-is-an-american-strength-not-weakness . They discuss in more detail how America thrives because of its “melting pot” ideal. What values do you think make America function through our differences? If you write anything else similar to this I would love to read it! -Anna

3. Emma 2 months ago

Sloane, this was a fantastic evaluation of what makes our country so special. Especially in the heat of political dispute, it’s important to remember the beauty of our nation. The United States is a beautiful place for cultures to mix and join in similar values. I liked how you used the term “melting pot” because it perfectly describes what we are. You did a great job of using examples and definitions to express your ideas. I too appreciate the diversity of the US and how it can shape us as individuals. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

4. Christian 2 months ago

I definitely agree with you about the fact that there are many definitions of American values, but there still are some that are commonly held by all Americans. For example, working hard, being independent, and the founding principles are all values we hold.

5. Lillian 2 months ago

Hi Sloane,
    I completely agree with you that the United States is a melting pot because everyday in our towns, cities, and states we are forming different cultures, languages, and more that not only shape us, but also our surrounding society. Additionally on this topic, the American culture is just the mixture of a ton of different ones that make America contain diversity, equality, and freedom throughout the country. Our culture heavily depends on other people’s standards, beliefs, heritage, and religion like you have said that creates a society where it does not matter. Overall in your passage I like your usage and examples of our different values that create a perspective of what being an American truly means to us as the people of the country. What values and beliefs do you think define America the best