American values

Each American has certain values that they live by. A person’s beliefs and values differ based on the situation they grew up in and their parents beliefs. Two values that I think are very important to most Americans would be freedom and equality.

Having freedom is very important to Americans. However, before the Constitution and certain laws were made, not everyone had the same freedoms. Our founding fathers decided to make it law because they knew how important freedom was, in the first amendment of the Constitution it says “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances”(U.S. Const. amend I). This guaranteed rights and freedoms to people which were not available to them before.   

Another value that is of high importance to Americans is equality. Equality has not been the same as it was when our country was just beginning. There was little to no equality for people of color and woman. For example, at the Constitutional Convention of 1787, the three-fifths clause was created, which meant “African Americans as individuals are considered three-fifths of a person”(Article I, section 2, of the U.S. Constitution of 1787).  As time has passed, equality for all has changed drastically. A prime example of equality would be in the Declaration of independence. It states “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness” (Jefferson, para 2). This founding document of the United States holds Americans to the standard of treating all people equal to one another.

Freedom and equality are what makes America so different from other countries. Without these, our values would be much different. It is freedom and equality that let us base our different opinions and values off of.  

Works cited

“The Constitution of the United States,” Amendment 1.

Jefferson, Thomas. Declaration of Independence. Adams, John. Franklin, Benjamin.

“The Constitution of the United States 1787,” Article I, Section 2

Photo by Photo YourSpace

CC BY-SA 4.0 American values by alejandro is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Husnain 2 weeks ago

nice

2. Sam 2 weeks ago

I enjoyed that you talked about freedom and equality as I mentioned both of those topics in my paper.