What do Americans value in a country full of differences? The answer is we value many different things that range from the start of the constitution to modern day. We value things from individual traits, american beliefs, and something which makes our country special which is independence and freedom. We take pride in being able to call ourselves American do to these values. For example, Independence and freedom are values that we have always respected since the beginning. Overtime, we have developed new values we consider being part of American. We all have different opinions on which values we live by but that is what makes us American. Individuality and being able to believe what you want is a value we live by.

Our main value in America is having pride in being a free and independent country. We honor our constitutional freedoms we have in this country by living in a “free “ way and how we want to live. On the other hand, we can’t just live the way we want with no rules. Having freedom in America does not mean you can literally do what you want, you still have to obey the constitution. Freedom in America is that you have  freedom of speech, religion, and press. Our way of showing we respect these freedoms are to live up to them without being punished. In America, we take pride in these freedoms to express our individuality. Individuality in America means we are comfortable dressing, acting or doing what we please without caring if you get judged. We value people who express their individuality. To top that, Americans encourage everyone to express personality traits, For example, no one in America has the exact same personality. We all have something unique which is special because we have the freedom to do so without getting judged. Unlike other countries it is important that we express our own personalities or feelings. Although there are personality traits that we value more than others. We value people who tend to be more direct or assertive. That is a big part of something important to have in America. We still value the other traits but overall Americans take pride in confidence. To sum it up, as a country Americans have value in freedom and individuality to be who you are as person. This is important to remember because other countries don’t have those same freedoms. These values are what makes America a great country to live in so you can express who you are as a person without getting your rights taken away.

“What Do Americans Value? | Information for Refugees and Immigrants.” Refugee Center Online, therefugeecenter.org/resources/american-values/.

Gilpin, Caroline Crosson. “What Do American Values Mean to You?” The New York Times, The New York Times, 15 Sept. 2017, www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/learning/what-do-american-values-mean-to-you.html.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What do Americans value in a diverse society? by Emily is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.