What’s important to know about me is that I am a caring person who’s trying to spread kindness anywhere.I was born in August 18 of 2001. I have lived in the Bronx all my life but at one point in my life I lived in, as you can say technically, my native country, the Dominican Republic, for a year. What I like to do in school is my work, as long as I don’t have to speak out loud or present because it’s also important to know that I am shy and get nervous while speaking out loud but i’m trying to work on that. Out of school I like to sleep and just chill at home. What I’m particularly good at is looking out for people. In the sense of a hobby I play basketball and got good at it by practicing in the way I taught myself.

My plans for the future are not completely clear yet, but I guess in the future I always thought of  living in a small cabin close to mountains so I could go hiking and biking away from the city atmosphere and just live away from it and relax and have a job I enjoy instead of rushing careers and jobs because of the pressure of teenage years and having to rush everything, which is the case with the majority of us. Elaborating on my future, I was also thinking of being a cop and helping the community in some way but I’m not so sure yet. I also was thinking of being a therapist so I could help people in any way and show them that it is okay to be vulnerable no matter who you are or what’s your story and that everything will get better with time.This option I was most sure of but any of these options are just options that I’m not sure about, and I also try not be so anxious about the future and try to just simply get somewhere.

I believe everyone’s family structure has changed mostly when it comes to family of  people of color. In terms of my family, in the way we are always on the lookout, paranoid, always listening to the news in case of a new law or just anything that we may need to know what to do outside just in case something happens .The changes were negative in terms of how the atmosphere subtly changed. I feel proud about the languages I speak because of the roots and culture it represents which could also be an advantage in life to be bilingual, Most of my family and friends migrated from Dominican Republic. The different cultural groups where i live interact with each other like they are related because mostly being people of color and having many things in common so therefore , they interact by relating and bonding . My life is no different from the life of an immigrant but in terms of obstacles they have it way harder and difficult because of the reason i was born here i may have more opportunities and they go through many things like fleeing home for a better life and from the danger of their country and the difficulties their country have in terms of poverty,financial needs etc, and they come here for shelter and a different life from the notorious life they have in their country.

Photo by ulisse albiati

CC BY-SA 4.0 Bravery by Mariely is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Author
    Mariely 5 days ago

Thank you , thank you for taking your time to read this , a little kindness wont harm which is what is needed in the world so ,spread kindness, always try to be you .

2. Katherine 2 weeks ago

Mariely, this was very intriguing! Your thought process about this topic was very interesting to read and I enjoyed what you had to say. I specifically liked when you said, “This option I was most sure of but any of these options are just options that I’m not sure about, and I also try not be so anxious about the future and try to just simply get somewhere.” I too try not to be so anxious about the future, but it can often be hard! Thank you for this! I look forward to reading to what you write next.

Mariely 5 days ago

Thank you for taking your time to read this ,I’m glad you enjoyed , In the near future just keep on trying often trying is what matters ,you’ll get there.

3. Ari 2 weeks ago

I really enjoyed your statement that your “plans for the future are not completely clear yet.” This is incredibly relatable and takes up quite a bit of my own thinking as well. I enjoyed hearing your thought process associated with it. I also admire the options you laid out for your future. Wanting to help people is a very noble goal, and I think it is a great example of the positive and capable character you seem to possess.

Mariely 5 days ago

Thank you , Even if the future may not be clear yet for anyone its still okay to take time for yourself and keep trying in life, its never too late , you’ll get there . always hope.

4. Emma 2 months ago

Thank you so much for sharing your story. It seems like you have a passion for helping others and giving of yourself. You also seem to appreciate every aspect of your life, which is impressive for someone at such a young age. You are also a fantastic story teller- I was intrigued as I read about your life. You have inspired me to take a closer look at my background and appreciate what makes me who I am. Thank you again! I look forward to reading what you write next.

Mariely 5 days ago

Thank YOU, i’m glad i was able to inspire you to look closer into your background and embrace it tho it takes times ,always try to be you ,take your time. Never thought i would of intrigued someone with my writing so,thank you.

5. Penelope 2 months ago

This was very interesting to read. I love how you went in depth about your life and how it affects you. I love your dreams of being a cop and helping someone. I think it’s a wonderful idea. You are very brave and I love your writing. You should always be proud of who you are.

Mariely 5 days ago

Thank you , thank you for taking your time to read this , a little kindness wont harm which is what is needed in the world so ,spread kindness, always try to be you