The objects in my shadow box represent my counter narratives and on the outside there is illustrations that represent my dominant narratives. When people look at me, they see a young women who doesn’t speak up for her rights and keeps her truths in silence. Society doesn’t truly know how courageous I am when it comes to defending my chosen identities because they represent the real me! In addition, I’ve chosen to include inspirational women quotes with a garden of flowers around them because we women are usually looked down on as “dependent” and “weak” when in reality we try our best to prove all those who doubt us wrong. Also, I’ve decided to include one of my assigned identities which is being an older sister. Many people may believe that this is the role where you “have to be perfect, smart, make no mistakes” and act like you’re happy even when you’re not. In my shadow box you can see how I’ve put a picture of both my siblings because they love me no matter how many mistakes I’ve made in life. They know that at the end of the day their Manita (sister) has picked herself up when she has fallen. Finally, in my shadow box you can see that I’ve united Mexico and El Salvador together into a heart with my baby picture in the middle. The reason for this is because I want to proudly show my ethnicity. Being Mexican and Salvadorian means beauty and strength no matter what anyone says because at the end of the day it’s in my DNA and I’ll forever be proud of who I am!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Who Is She Truly? by Jessica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Angela 5 months ago

Dear Jessica.
    I want to say I am very intrigued on your persona and the story behind each items that represent you and your ethnicity. It takes a lot of courage to write about oneself. As a Latina and a feminist, seeing other young girls finding their voices in this society is empowering. This sentence captured my attention ” Society doesn’t truly know how courageous I am when it comes to defending my chosen identities because they represent the real me”. That sentence makes me think about Frida Khalo and Susan B Anthony, women who used their voice and painting to be taken serious in society and for the rights of women. I think you are headed the right path for a great future where females of different ethnicity can make a difference. Incorporating the two flags united speaks a lot about who you are. I am also the oldest child in the family, I was also enforced that rule of being the best daughter but I wasn’t. One thing I always told myself was that I would help my sister be better than I ever was and I am proud to say my little sister is one of the women I look up to. Hope one thing you can take out of this passage is, being a female from a different ethnicity is amazing and do not let negativity get you down. My brother-in-law always said “Hard time do not last, Hard people do” meaning that when you are faced with a difficult situation, you will find the way to solve them. Thank you for sharing your shadow box, I wish you the very best with your journey through high school and life.

2. Anthony 5 months ago

Dear Jessica,
    I am glad to see how you display such empowerment. I can tell from your shadow box that you have put a lot of time and effort into it, which demonstrates that you know yourself very well. What I do find interesting is the Virgin of Guadalupe and the quote that is on the cup.
    The reason in which I find the virgin interesting, is because the virgin symbolized a respected female leader. I also believe in the virgin. Your whole box displays female empowerment which is good because there should be a push for female leaders.
    The second object that I found interesting was the quote on the cup you have. This quote is very strong and relates to female empowerment which is a very strong topic for you. I am glad to see your self-recognition and you know and advocate for woman strength.
    Once again I am thankful for allowing me to see your shadow box and hope you have a bright future ahead.

3. Ariel 5 months ago

Jessica,
    I want to start by saying that I think you are an insightful young lady full of determination. Thank you for sharing some of your insight as to how you think other people perceive you as well as how you perceive yourself.

A few things that got my attention:

You said that when society looks at you, they see a young women who doesn’t speak up for her rights and keeps her truths silent.
    My first question would be what are some rights and/or truths you keep silent? With that, my second question is why do you think you tend to keep these rights and truths silent? What are the reasons for that?

Secondly, I think it is very mature and caring of you to recognize your position as an older sister, what that means for you, and how that affects your younger siblings. I have a younger sister and when I was your age I was not the greatest influence and I didn’t treat her how I should have. It makes me so thankful to see that your are recognizing how great of an impact you have on their lives and I’m glad to see that you want them to see your strength and courage through the hard times.

Best of luck!

4. Tania 11 months ago

Dear Jessica,
    I like your box a lot because its very descriptive. A sentence you wrote that stood out to me is “I’ve chosen to include inspirational women quotes with a garden of flowers around them because we women are usually looked down on as “dependent” and “weak” when in reality we try our best to prove all those who doubt us wrong” this stood out to me because it’s true what people see us as, and because I like the objects you added to represent that. Another thing you wrote that stood out to me was that your really proud of your ethnicity. Which is a good thing, I believe everyone should be proud. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your so detailed in your work.

5. Anthony 11 months ago

Dear,Jessica I was amazed how good you explained your story and really liked it,I specially when you said that women are usually looked down on but I liked how you showed otherwise by saying That women try their best to prove those counter claims wrong.Great work!