Earlier this year, around March, I became really focused on saving the environment. It had never really occurred to me how much plastic really destroys the planet until I started to do research on it. At first, I didn’t think only one person could do something about it. But after a while, I realized not using one straw or one plastic bottle could save a sea animal’s life, or just help the environment bit by bit.

In San Fransisco, a new ban on plastic bottles was engaged. However, officials only allowed it to be on city property. Therefore, private owners could do what they wanted. I really like that San Francisco is trying to do something about how many plastic bottles are used.  I am really against plastic bottles and have been trying to reduce my plastic waste by using reusable bottles and metal straws. So reading this article really put my faith into a less plastic using future.

There are many main reasons why we should ban the use of plastic bottles . A lot of facts were very surprising, but, in the long run, really make sense. It really surprised me how many plastic bottles were used per year compared to how many of those are recycled. Americans alone used 50 billion bottles in 2006, but only recycled 38 billion. That’s only 23 percent! Not only is it destroying the planet, but it’s not helping our wallets either. Instead of just using tap water, which would be roughly $0.49 a year for eight glasses of water a day, we are spending  $1,400 a year. There are so many cheaper and safer options for the environment. It makes me upset to see humans trashing the world like they are. We’re supposed to take care of the Earth, so why aren’t we?

Photo by eutrophication&hypoxia

CC BY-SA 4.0 Should Bottled Water Be Banned? by Penelope is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Praneeth 1 week ago

Hi Penelope,
    I think you have a strong point, but I think that it would be hard to ban plastic bottles many people use bottles as a way for their intake of water. Bottles are a very efficient way for people to access water when they are not at home and on the go. Places like marathons and running events need water and the best way is bottled water, you can try to use biodegradable bottles but they do just that they don’t last long enough. Plastic bottles are stronger and cost less to make. We can not ban bottles but we can change how people dispose of them.

2. Vibha 2 weeks ago

Hi Penelope,

I completely agree with your argument and I believe this issue has become much larger in recent years. As of right now, it might be a little difficult to issue a nationwide or world wide ban on bottled water, but there are definitely some steps we can take before that. Touching on what you mentioned, the importance of recycling could be raise and stressed much more than how it currently is. New standards could be put in place regarding recycling bins and reducing plastic waste. Do you think it is the easy disposability of water bottles and other plastics that makes it easy to forget about the environment? How long do you think it will take before this issue finally catches up to us? Overall you did a really nice job, and I liked the sources you used to back your argument.

-Vibha

3. Bailey 2 weeks ago

Penelope,

I appreciate your writing of this article, this is a very important issue that not many people recognize or act on to improve. I will say though, that I did find some things that I think you could use to improve your argument. One of the main things is to do a facts check, in your post you said that only 38 out of 50 billion water bottles are recycled, but then referred to that relation as 23%, which mathematically doesn’t add up. Making sure you have accurate facts adds a very important layer to have in your argument, without which many people won’t take it seriously. Another thing that you could do to make your post stronger is using more formal words, trying replacing words like “a lot, and really” with more formal synonyms. One last thing that I think you could do is to expand your argument more, mention a counterargument, and add more length to your argument the intro should not be double the length of the argument.

I’m interested in what you think of these suggestions,

-Bailey

4. Emilee 2 weeks ago

Hallo Penelope,
    I understand your argument about how large amount of plastics not being recycled ca hurt the earth and animals/wildlife. over all it is a unrealistic goal to get rid of the use of bottles all together

5. Michelle 2 weeks ago

Hi Penelope,
    It’s crazy to think that water bottles can cause so much harm to the environment. I never thought about how just one person could help the environment. I liked your point, but maybe you could provide a little more information on the options if we ban plastic bottles?

6. Christian 2 weeks ago

Your argument comes mostly from a compassionate state of mind, its good to help animals and not to pollute. However, bottled water is a much more valuable commodity then you are making it out to be. In poorer countries like Africa or Asia bottled water plays a pivotal role in helping people gain the water they need to survive. Plastic also is a somewhat strong material, which is bad when trying to biodegrade but good when moving across distances. I think that the littering of plastic bottles, of course, is bad and needs to stop, however, there are other ways of going about that. For example, here in Michigan, we have a very low litter rate for soda cans because we back each can with a 10 cent return. It would be better to do this and recycle the bottles returned rather than ban them outright. This could also provide help for those suffering from poverty, which would give them a reason to pick them up as well.

7. Kristen 2 weeks ago

Dear Penelope,

Plastic bottles have been a debatable issue, and I agree that people, by using plastic bottles, aren’t helping save the environment. I see why you are against it, but do you think that it’s something in America that can change over time or something will remain an issue? San Francisco is a great example of change, but changes for plastic bottles is going on all across America. Have you heard of Starbucks new plan in 2020? Starbucks is one of the leading cafes in America and is pretty close to plastic water bottle issue. However according to news.starbucks.com, “’Starbucks goal to eliminate plastic straws by 2020 from their stores globally represents the company’s forward thinking in tackling the material waste challenge in totality.”’ Yes, it might not be much to change our environment, but it’s taking baby steps to reduce this issue. It’s something to think about. But ultimately, your article is a great way to talk about an issue you care about!

Kristen

8. Audra 2 weeks ago

I agree with you on the fact that we need to take better care of our Earth. Reducing/eliminating the use of plastic water bottles and straws is a great idea and hopefully the idea spreads to other cities beyond San Francisco. The only thing I think about being are the people who are going to oppose this change, how can we get them to see that this would be a step in the right direction for the environment?

9. Shreeya 2 weeks ago

Hey Penelope,
    I agree with you that plastic bottles should be banned. I think you should add a little more about how it is harmful to our environment and how we should ban plastic water bottles. Also replacements we can use instead of plastic. What replacements of plastic water bottle do you think would be save our environment?

10. Zaggam 2 weeks ago

I agree with your point. I never really thought about plastic bottle use that much until I read this. Now I realize how much it really is affecting our environment and the world in general. I know that this will be on my mind now and I will probably research some more about it because of this post. We have to take a stand now and save our world while we still can.

11. Isabella 2 weeks ago

I think you provide a really important argument. We as humans tend to ignore issues like these and I can ultimately lead to even bigger problems in the future.

12. Chanakya 2 weeks ago

I think you have a really good valid point that plastic bottles are an issue around the world; not only is it harmful to animals and the environment. But we also have to think about how the production of these bottles are also harmful to the environment. The only solution is either to use reusable bottles, or find a new alternative to plastic. But San Francisco is thinking right. The first step is to ban the bottles as a whole and recycle all the bottles in a way where it doesn’t damage an ecosystem.