The most important thing about me is that I’m unique, I was born April 25th 2000 in a small town which is called San Jose de Ocoa in Dominican Republic. For the past couple of years I have been living in New York State, in The Bronx. Right now what I like inside school is that I’m almost there to graduate and I’m focused on that. Outside school I like to go out with my friends and family. My plan for the future is to become part of the NYPD, and one of my dreams is to have my own beautiful family.

The biggest way my life changed when I immigrated was my lifestyle. My family structure changed because back home I was living with my mom, sister, and father and here I only live with my mom. Those changes are negative because I miss them. I feel comfortable about the languages I speak. My friends, family members, neighbors and community are from different countries; for example, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Ecuador, Mexico etc. Different cultural groups interact when it comes to the food. For example I like chinese food but I never visited China. I compare my life with the life of the immigrants in my community because we are here to work for a better future to give our kids what we did not have.

An incident of injustice I faced when I was a child was that one of my mom’s friends told her I stole her favorite lipstick because I went to her house and I liked it  and my mom was mad at me. She told me I couldn’t use the TV or play with my dolls, and things like that. Two weeks after my mom saw her friend with the lipstick and asked her where she found it and she said in her boyfriend’s house. This was so unfair for me because I went two weeks without TV and without my dolls for no reason.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Lipstick by Jenniffer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Skye 4 days ago

I like how you talked about the cultural diversity in your neighborhood, and how there are both differences and similarities in that. I appreciate how you are open about the experience of your immigration to the U.S., and discussed how your life changed when you moved to New York. You have big dreams for the future and have the drive to achieve them.

2. Lindsey 5 days ago

I love how open your are about your story. When you say “I compare my life with the life of the immigrants in my community because we are here to work for a better future to give our kids what we did not have” it brings up an important conversation of how necessary immigrants are to America. Immigrants deserve equal opportunities as everyone else in the U.S. and shouldn’t have to work extra hard fr an equal lifestyle. Unfortunately, privilege will always exist, but it is crucial that change is made and immigrants like you are starting that change.

3. Anthony 5 days ago

I agree with you Jenniffer, I believe uniqueness is important for each person to have. Our differences are what make each of us ourselves. Its important that we don’t try to fill anyone else’s shoes and live the way we want.