It doesn’t matter what you think about this world, but why we are here as a human race comes down to two question: does everything happen for a reason? or is everything the way it is because it just is? If everything in our life did revolve around the fact that everything does happen for a reason, signifying our life is already shaped to its extent and the course of our life is predetermined. Humankind has found no way or evidence that “everything happens for a reason.” Let us say you woke up sick because your life schedule had programmed you to be sick that specific time and illness; let us now say one thousand people woke up sick around the world the same day; how could a bigger force or power program that to happen? It would come down to charts, statistics, probabilities, and ratios worldwide. This is something that we could not even do for each singular life in this universe. People always say “everything happens for a reason” and I believe it doesn’t. Nothing happens for a reason; it just happens because it just does.

The universe works the way it does because that is how it evolved. We are  not here because someone brought us or made us here; we are here because nothing happens for a reason. We were not planned. There is no way that someone or something could program everything in this universe and make it work the way they want it to. Or is there?

CC BY-SA 4.0 Does everything happen for a reason? by David is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. James 5 days ago

David,

These ideas are extremely thought provoking, Its one of those things you think about at night and it keeps you up. I liked your ideas and writing more than just surface level ideas. Obviously everyone is gonna have different outlooks on why they are here in this time, your ideas on predetermination were also interesting. I hope to hear more from you and hopefully you expand further on these ideas.

2. Mack 5 days ago

David I love these questions for many reasons. First I like that these questions make you think outside of the box and it made me think why we say this. When you find more evidence on why we say this in our society, I love to know.

3. Ari 2 weeks ago

I love this question for a few reasons. The first reason is it’s a philosophical question which means the debate could go on forever because there is no actual answer. Another reason is there are many ways to interpret the quote everything happens for a reason. One way which you analyzed was that everything is predetermined. Another way to analyze the quote is that for every bad thing that happens there is also something good coming your way – sorta like karma. This quote can even be as simple as someone needing a way to cheer up.

One idea you brought up and I liked was the idea of predetermination. This debate of whether things are predetermined or not is a lot of fun. While I personally agree with you that nothing is predetermined I can see the argument for the other side. If you look at the future from the present nothing is known yet but looking at the past from the present everything already happened therefore it happened every time, 1/1. This is a strong argument for predetermination because it shows while you may not have known what was going to happen at the time it was already guaranteed to happen.

4. Danny 2 weeks ago

David, the question you ask is very deep and difficult to answer, however it is an important question. This post stood out to me because it doesn’t have an easy answer. The answers differ from person to person and i think this is something everyone should figure out. Good job on asking the tough questions in life.

5. Maxim 2 weeks ago

David, this is a very thought-provoking question. If everything did happen for a reason, then the universe would be predetermined from the start. This would raise other questions, like if we have free will or not. With philosophical questions like this one, there likely will never be a definitive answer, but it is definitely interesting to see people’s viewpoints. I would love to see more about this topic!

6. Chandan 2 weeks ago

I like how you are questioning the existence of humanity but you provide little to no evidence to back up your claim. I would like to see you bring up different perspectives such as a religious view or even a scientific view.

7. Abigail 2 weeks ago

David, you ask a very profound question. You can see beyond the obvious and think deeper. I too at times wonder if there is any reason or rhyme to existence. The universe is so complex that at times it feels as if it is impossible. At other times it seems to be the opposite. I would love to know more about what you think about this topic. A book I recently read, Sapiens, provided a fascinating foundation to this question. I hope to see you explore this subject further in the future.

8. Christopher 2 weeks ago

David, you are a deep thinker. I like that you are asking the tough questions. I too grapple with my existence on a daily basis, and a lot of the every-day evidence points to a chaotic universe devoid of a purpose. I’m reading Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time right now, and I think the argument for a unified theory that gives order to everything may be impossible to come by. I’d definitely read the book if I were you, and perhaps consider the cause and effect relationships inherent in our lives. Your last line is a great way of leaving things: always open to new information that comes down the pipeline.

9. Yulisa 2 weeks ago

David, I really like the way you contrasted both separate questions. When you talked about how not one single person can program anything and everything, it really made me wonder why people always say “everything happens for a reason”, even though it technically can’t. There are many interesting documentaries you could find that support this idea even more. I really enjoy watching anything about this topic, and they all say the same thing that you are saying. I would love to hear what you have to say about this after exploring more sources on this topic.

10. Johnny 2 weeks ago

Very interesting and broad question, David. Definitely looking at the bigger picture. I think this is a common question that everyone would like to know, but there’t no real evidence, just plenty of theories. I would definitely like to know my purpose in this world, however that’s something that we discover later in life, and not always at the moment this question is posed to us. Props to you for looking at the bigger picture though. If i had to come to an answer, I would say everything does happen for a reason and its just God’s plan. Keep looking further into this!