In the past decade or so environmental issues have been put under a microscope by a population that isn’t just aware, but educated on the issue. As trash continues to grow and swell in our ocean, people have begun to wonder what is the most effective way to cut down on the most common thing seen in the ocean that also manages to be nearly un-biodegradable for over a decade, plastic. Plastic forks, straws and bottles, just to name a few, are under fire for being a non necessity good that we can cut down on. Plastic bottles are not only generally unnecessary but also something that we can rid of and greatly reduce the steady rise of plastic in the environment.

There are nearly 50 billion plastic bottles consumed every year, of which 30 billion come from the U.S. annually. Water bottles are made of completely recyclable polyethylene terephthalate plastic, however these plastics don’t biodegrade they photodegrade, which means they break down into smaller fragments over time. Those fragments absorb toxins that pollute our waterways, contaminate our soil, and sicken animals. Also plastic bottles contain Bisphenol A, which is used to create the clear and hard qualities. This chemical is also an endocrine disruptor which has been proven to be hazardous to human health and cause cancer in some cases. Plastic detritus is a plague upon our environment and our output of these materials needs to be slowed indefinitely.

It is clear that plastic bottles are something that causes massive environmental problems. This is often overlooked, however, for their large part in the economy. Even though a staggering 1,500 bottles are consumed every second, it is hard to imagine that there is an end in sight unless people either choose to cut down on plastic use or are forced to by legislation. If a population can commit whether voluntarily or be forced to cut down on usage of plastic and other raw materials, tangible efforts could be just around the corner.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/norm-schriever/post_5218_b_3613577.htmlhttp://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/whats-the-problem-with-plastic-bottles/http://www.gogreen.org/blog/impacts-of-plastic-water-bottles

CC BY-SA 4.0 Water Bottle Ban by James is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Michael 2 weeks ago

James you brought up some great points, water bottle consumption will probably not go down unless some legislation is passed. I kinda already knew plastic bottles didn’t biodegrade but I didn’t know they photodegrade (or what photodegradation was) before reading this post. If legislation is passed to cut down on plastic usage through a water bottle ban pollution should greatly go down (and people would have more money in their wallets) so the pros seem to greatly outway the cons.

2. William 2 weeks ago

Great job on the post James. You did a good job at providing factual evidence for the issue and using scientific understanding to further add to your point. You bring up reasons that I did not previously know like the plastics in the bottles being endocrine system disrupters. I have to agree that legislation is probably required because as much as people want to support this issue, mass amounts of people are still numb to the problem of plastic bottles. Overall, good use of fact based evidence and incorporation of the scientific reasoning behind the issue of plastic water bottles.

3. Alejandro 3 weeks ago

Estimado james
    Creo que estoy de acuerdo con el tema que mostraste su poema es sobre un tema de la que si me interesa sobre la contaminacion del plastico y la sobre utilización de botellas de plástico que se usan mas de 1500 botellas de plástico por segundo que daña al mundo por no ser biodegradable y alos animales la imagen sobre su tema es exactamente la adecuada y el título ban botella de agua está completamente relacionado con el tema porque el demasiado uso de botellas para cualquier tipo de bebida es dañino para todos una frase que usted escribió que se destaca para mi es (Hay cerca de 50 mil millones de botellas de plástico que se consumen cada año) nosotros mismos debemos hacer el cambio para reducir el uso de botellas de plástico porque hace daño a los animales gracias por tu escritura. Espero ver lo que escribes a continuación, porque tú escribes sobre la realidad la realidad que estamos viviendo hoy en dia espero volver aver algún otro de tus poemas y tus pensamientos sigue asi.

Alejandro Maciel Magana

4. Branigan 3 weeks ago

I enjoyed your essay, and felt you used good resources