This Shadow Box represent me. My box has some of my important identities that matter to me. When some people look at me, they see a criminal and a bad person. Many people assume that I don’t speak up for my rights because I’m always out of the way. I just don’t like associating with people I don’t know,  I’m always on my own.

When I look up into the future, I see myself as a writer and a teacher. When I write, I feel like I can teach people my age or older things that they don’t know.

The items in my box are counter narratives. A counter narrative is a message that offers a positive alternative to the negative perceptions of society. As you can see I have chosen these counter narratives as my items so people can see a different side of me and my personality.

Many people in society expect the worst because I’m black  but after this you shouldn’t.

CC BY-SA 4.0 TRUE COLORS by Latrell Thomas by Latrell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Brian 5 months ago

Dear Latrell,
    My name is Brian and I am a 9th grader at Life Academy. My favorite part of your Shadow Box project was the pictures you put in. I question I have for you is why you put color is not a crime.
    Keep working hard

Brian