,

Shadow Box

Jose Rivas

Hello my name is Jose and I’m in 9th grade.This shadow box represents my stereotype and my Counter Narrative.When people look at they would usually think I’m a Mexican but I’m a Guatemalan mixed with Salvadoran.Many people assume that I’m an immigrant,even though I’m American.I see myself as person that likes to help others and being kind.My Counter Narrative is I love to eat food,and I’m Christian I have chosen to include that I’m the youngest one in my family and I have two brothers and one sister.Many people believe that I don’t like anything but I’m into many things.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadowbox by Jose is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Olivia 1 month ago

Hi Jose,

Your shadow box was interesting to look at! I enjoyed learning these small facts about you. I’m sorry that people have stereotyped you so much in your life, but I admire how you are proud of who you are and are not ashamed to state it. Being in touch with your culture and traditions is so important. It really stood out to me when you stated that many assume you’re an immigrant, although you are American. I know a lot of people who face the same issues you do, which is not right at all. However, as I said before, I appreciate how you have a strong stance of who you are and are willing to share this with others.

2. Eric Zheng 1 month ago

Hello Jose,
    I enjoyed reading your post because you’re talking about the stereotypes that you have to go through as an adolescence. I know being stereotyped isn’t the best feeling because everyone assumes you’re correlated with certain characteristics or actions. I’m glad you’re proving others wrong about the stereotypes that society puts on you by showing us your shadow box and letting the community know what they don’t see your personality from the outside.

3. Kassandra 8 months ago

Dear Jose Rivas,

I am glad about your shadow box because it looks very nice. You did a great job on this. A sentence that stood out to me is ¨When people look at they would usually think I’m a Mexican but I’m a Guatemalan mixed with Salvadoran.Many people assume that I’m an immigrant,even though I’m American¨, because your saying the dominant narratives you have, but then proving them wrong like how you’re ¨Guatemalan mixed with Salvadoran¨. Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this shadow box was great, so I’m sure your next work will be good, but maybe even better.

4. Anthony 8 months ago

Dear,Jose I really like your shadow box and how you represent your own culture and how you go against your counter narrative of people assuming every brown skin is mexican but we have are own cultures.another thing that you did that really amazed me was although you’re from guatemala you still show mexican pride!Overall your shadow box really show you,sincerely, anthony