Shadow Box

Jose Rivas

Hello my name is Jose and I’m in 9th grade.This shadow box represents my stereotype and my Counter Narrative.When people look at they would usually think I’m a Mexican but I’m a Guatemalan mixed with Salvadoran.Many people assume that I’m an immigrant,even though I’m American.I see myself as person that likes to help others and being kind.My Counter Narrative is I love to eat food,and I’m Christian I have chosen to include that I’m the youngest one in my family and I have two brothers and one sister.Many people believe that I don’t like anything but I’m into many things.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadowbox by Jose is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kassandra 5 days ago

Dear Jose Rivas,

I am glad about your shadow box because it looks very nice. You did a great job on this. A sentence that stood out to me is ¨When people look at they would usually think I’m a Mexican but I’m a Guatemalan mixed with Salvadoran.Many people assume that I’m an immigrant,even though I’m American¨, because your saying the dominant narratives you have, but then proving them wrong like how you’re ¨Guatemalan mixed with Salvadoran¨. Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this shadow box was great, so I’m sure your next work will be good, but maybe even better.

2. Anthony 5 days ago

Dear,Jose I really like your shadow box and how you represent your own culture and how you go against your counter narrative of people assuming every brown skin is mexican but we have are own cultures.another thing that you did that really amazed me was although you’re from guatemala you still show mexican pride!Overall your shadow box really show you,sincerely, anthony