The shadow box that I have created represents my life. In other words, it represents the life that I have and counter narratives that I have that people don’t know of. For example, in my shadow box I have images of people who I aspire to be like. I have pictures of singers who inspire me for my music which is something that people don’t know I do. I have sons that I have written which are very special to me and I care a lot about them because they are based on topics that I really care about. The thing is this shadow box was very special for me, the reason why is because it helps me prove to people that it’s really what’s on the inside that counts because our exterior is just something people think but don’t know the truth about us. When people look at me they may assume that I am just another teenage girl who only cares about herself and social media and doesn’t pay attention to what’s going on in the real world. But the truth is I see everything. I see the corruption in the world, the racism, the separation of families, and many other horrible things. That’s why I started writing my music so that I can show people that these things are real, and even though we don’t show it, young people can see and understand what’s going on in the world. I see myself as an artist, that’s an chosen identity that I have for myself while people don’t know I write music I do and I keep it very low key because I am afraid of what people might think of it. Although I do have this as my chosen identity I also have very important assigned identities that mean the world to me. I am Hispanic, I am a woman, I am a daughter and many other things. Now although I didn’t put these things in my shadow box it doesn’t mean I am not proud of these things. In fact it is he exact opposite I am absolutely proud of this I love my family and I am very proud of my ethnicity of Mexican and Cuban. But I have chosen to include men and women who inspire me and are big activists even though people don’t know that. These people are important to me and my identity because they taught me to respect all human beings and to not be afraid to be myself.

CC BY-SA 4.0 SHADOW BOX by Jennifer is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. America 2 weeks ago

Dear jennifer
    I love how shadow boxes are very special to you and it help you prove proof people wrong.Also, I like how you have thing inside your box from people that empire you. I also, like shadow boxes like you do for similar reasons. – America Diaz

2. Jalen 2 weeks ago

Dear Jennifer
    This is a very good source because it shows how the shade box is very useful .