This shadow box represents my counter and dominant narrative.The counter narratives are the things that are true to myself. Dominant narrative is what society assumes about my identity and ethnicity. The inside of the box has my counter narratives and the outside has the dominant narratives. For my dominant narratives I put pictures of models because society really use to tell me to have a model looking body and also the mexican flag because people think just because I am latina they think I am mexican, dangerous, and contain drugs. For my counter narrative I put pictures of myself because I prefer my natural beauty it also shows my ethnicity wich is El Salvador. I  also have baby pictures of me because it shows that just by being from Oakland you don’t join a gang or you are dangerous.My shadow box also has a picture of pupusas with curtido and salsa. Also a picture of of kolashampan a drink in El Salvador. That is it for my shadow box.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Shadow Box by Estefani is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Celeste 2 weeks ago

I’m very impressed by your post, “Shadow Box” because the way you explain your dominant and counter narratives is very vivid and it really speaks to me because I can really relate to the part that you wrote about people assuming that just because you’re latina you’re Mexican, it’s honestly super annoying and I understand how it feels. I also put some baby pictures of me when I was younger and pictures of my family and I because I wanted to show my viewers that I have a family to make proud and a family that supports me so why would I be going out and making trouble for them. One sentence that stood out to me was: “My dominant narratives I put pictures of models because society really use to tell me to have a model looking body”. I think this is very powerful because I understand how it feels to have to look like what society says is right and have to stand up to what society says is beautiful. And you putting models on your dominant narrative side of the shadow box is amazing because it shows that, that is what society thinks is beautiful but then your counter narrative comes in and shows society that you are beautiful just the way you are no matter what they have to say. Thanks for your writing, I look forward to see what you write next because I think it’s very inspiring.

2. Diego 3 weeks ago

I appreciate your artist statement and shadow box for explaining how you aren’t what you seem like seed. It shows how you aren’t just a generalized person but very specific in who you are. BUT, you didn’t space after a period once. But everything else is sick.