My Shadow Box

Kimberly Jimenez-Mendoza

Many people assume in a dominant narrative when I state “I love drawing”, the first thing that comes in their mind is traditional drawing. Me loving drawing doesn’t mean that I love traditional drawing, my counter narrative Is digital drawing. As you can see here this is my iPad Pro 12.9 and a digital drawing program called Medibang set up with it and shows that i’m pumped to draw. I’ve chosen to put a picture of me and my little brother together because many girls states that a “sister always loves a sister more than a brother” but with me it’s the opposite, I love my brother way more than my sister. What he does makes me smile more as my sister does, he’s really funny and I relate with my brother a lot. You’re probably wondering why are there plants in the Shadow Box? well it shows my love for nature and green plants. Normally all Male bodied people would say a girl would love flowers and roses the best. My chosen identity is loving plants not flowers. It’s like a green green plant if you gave me a venus fly trap I would be grinning and smiling happily. The bird in the back represents my love for birds the type of bird that I love is Eagles, If you see the shape of it shows a form of an Eagle. Those gems that you see near the Eagle have meanings they are not just there for decorations. The red, blue, green and purple gems represent my favorite colors mostly girls would say weird and bad things about green and purple. They are the least favorite color for girls but I love them to my heart, those colors match my own assigned identity and they matter to me. The gems that are silver states that “silver is better than gold” in my world. I have a reason why it states that for me but it’s complicated to explain why and it would a take an really long time. The black background states how I love dark colors and how mysterious I am. The flag next to the eagle is my flag the Guatemalan flag this shows how im proud of being guatemalan and that i’m glad to be part of it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadowbox by Kimberly is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.