This shadow box represents that I am a Good Brother,Straight and a Mexican. When people look at me, they see the Dominant Narrative which is that I am a young Hispanic.They, might also see that my future is being an alcoholic and going into a gang. Many people assume that I am the one in the family that is disrespectful and doesn’t listen to their parents, but the counter narrative is that I mostly have taken advice from my parents and siblings. I see myself as a student that will graduate high school with no F’s and that is one of my goals. I also see myself as an University graduate that has a high income pay. This is a counter narrative of the stereotype of Latinos being high school dropouts and working at at low income job for most of their time. I have chosen to include being straight because my assigned sex and chosen gender is male. Many people may believe that I will fit in into the stereotypes but I am sure that I will not.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadow Box By Ulises Almanza by Ulises is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Haley 4 months ago

Hi Ulises, your shadow box is very unique! From looking at the picture, I can tell you are a very creative and positive person. You’re right in terms of the common Latino stereotypes. However, I am glad to see that you’re thriving and trying to be the best person you can be not only to your family, but your community as well. Keep pursing your dreams and you will be successful.

-Haley

2. Jesus Morales 6 months ago

I like the photos that you put on your shadow box meaning that family is everything.

3. Martha 10 months ago

Dear, Ulises
    One sentence that stood out to me in your artist statement was when you stated you wanted society to see you as a good brother that’s really adorable. To add on, another sentence that stood out to me was when you wanted to have no F’s and I see you in PLT already working on that pathway Good luck I know you can achieve your goals. Thanks for your artist statement and shadow box. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because this work was really great to look at.
    You rock!! Sincerely, Martha

Ulises 7 months ago

Dear Martha,Thank you for reading my shadow box. I wanted to address what you said for example you said “another sentence that stood out to me was when you wanted to have no F’s and I see you in PLT already working on that pathway Good luck I know you can achieve your goals. ” This stood out to me because you show that you care.SIncereley, Ulises