This shadow box represents that I am a Good Brother,Straight and a Mexican. When people look at me, they see the Dominant Narrative which is that I am a young Hispanic.They, might also see that my future is being an alcoholic and going into a gang. Many people assume that I am the one in the family that is disrespectful and doesn’t listen to their parents, but the counter narrative is that I mostly have taken advice from my parents and siblings. I see myself as a student that will graduate high school with no F’s and that is one of my goals. I also see myself as an University graduate that has a high income pay. This is a counter narrative of the stereotype of Latinos being high school dropouts and working at at low income job for most of their time. I have chosen to include being straight because my assigned sex and chosen gender is male. Many people may believe that I will fit in into the stereotypes but I am sure that I will not.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadow Box By Ulises Almanza by Ulises is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Martha 2 weeks ago

Dear, Ulises
    One sentence that stood out to me in your artist statement was when you stated you wanted society to see you as a good brother that’s really adorable. To add on, another sentence that stood out to me was when you wanted to have no F’s and I see you in PLT already working on that pathway Good luck I know you can achieve your goals. Thanks for your artist statement and shadow box. I look forward to seeing what you make next, because this work was really great to look at.
    You rock!! Sincerely, Martha