This is Me

By: Tania Lopez Pelayo

This Shadow Box represents who I am. The inside of the box represents my counter narrative because it’s it how I picture my life and world. Then, the outside represents the dominant narrative because its peoples opinions on me and where I come from, which in my opinion are wrong.The pictures in my box represent how I only live with one parent, which is my mom. This is a assigned identity because I did not choose for them to be apart. As you can see if its a picture with my mom, it’s only with her not my dad.The mini drinks and coins and little objects came from Mexico so they represent that I’m Mexican. Also, the images show that I am female and strong and independent, and that I am from Oakland. Furthermore, as you can see on the outside it shows a Mexican flag and a mini border to show the oppression from Trump, that he wants to build a border to stop us from coming to the U.S. On the outside I had also put red paper to represent how society thinks we are part of a gang. I put words and symbols of the types of perspectives put on us.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My shadow box by Tania is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.