My Shadow Box

By: Jessica Hernandez

This shadow box represents the dominant and counter narratives that I have. On the outside of my shadow box I have some dominant narratives about myself. Many people assume that my ethnicity is Mexican. Some others would also assume that I’m always very feminine by looking at me. The inside of my box are my counter narratives. My ethnicity is actually Guatemalan, which is what the flag inside of my box represents. My gender identity is female, but I don’t always see myself as feminine like for example the picture of me in a duck costume. I have chosen to include a picture of me and my brother because it shows that I’m a younger sibling. Many people believe that since I’m younger I got everything I wanted, I’m always very feminine, and that I come from a different ethnicity, but its not true.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadow Box by Jessica is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Lupita 6 days ago

Dear Jessica,

I am astonished by your shadow box. I love how in your artist statement you explain how many people may see you as one ethnicity but the truth is you’re not. You are a proud Guatemalan and that is truly shown in your shadow box.One part of your artist statement/shadow box that I loved was that you showed how people may believe that you are always feminine but you are not always feminine and that is shown by when you dressed up as a duck for halloween instead of a princess or any feminine costume. Thank you for sharing your wonderful shadow box and showing the world that dominant narratives do not define you. Keep writing and showing the world YOUR perspective.

Lupita Morales-Cordova=)

2. Gregorio 2 weeks ago

Dear Jessica,
    I like how you talked about how dominant narratives are wrong about you like for example, you are not mexican you’re Guatemalan. This is also represented on your box because you have the flag. Also, I like how you don’t always see yourself as feminine, which is showed by you wear a duck costume which was really funny. Overall, your shadow box is well done with all the symbols and images in your box and also your artist statement was well done too because you talked about your counter and dominant narratives.

3. Nyjayla 3 weeks ago

Hi jessica i just wonted to say i love your shadow box Its very different and i like that you put the images of you and your brother to show that your the youngest and i like that you explained you counter and dominant narritives