When people look at me they might think that I’m dangerous or that I’m an immigrant which is my dominant narrative.But, I’m not dangerous nor an immigrant I am a strong independent Mexican female who enjoys competitive swimming and embraces her culture this is my counter narrative. I have chosen to include pictures of my childhood to show how I have grown up but also all the traditions that have been celebrated in my culture. For example my baptism, a few months after I was born my parents chose to baptize me because it’s part of my culture and religion most of my family is baptized and I want to continue this tradition as I grow older and have my own kids. Also, I choose to Include a white ribbon that has my name on it and symbolizes the date in which I had my first communion. I felt like this was important to include in my box because having my first communion is a tradition but it’s also a part of my culture that I wanted to include. I am Catholic and I love having faith in God because it makes me feel like I have someone that supports me even though I can’t see them. I chose to include my Virgen de Guadalupe because I have a lot of faith in my Virgencita and I was also named after her so that also shows that she is a big part of my identity and culture. I am Mexican American which means that I’m half Mexican and half American but I chose to embrace the fact that I’m Mexican the most. I included the Mexican flag because it’s where my parents were born and it’s a place that symbolizes my culture and where my ancestors are from. I am very athletic meaning that because I’m female people see me different but regardless of my biological sex. I choose to try my hardest and never give up. Many people might think a lot of negative things about me because of my race. I am a Latina who has a lot of power and I will not let anyone tell me otherwise or dehumanize me for being a strong Independent female.  

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadow box by Kenya is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.