My Shadow Box

Chris Pablo

This shadow box represents how I see myself and how society sees me. This has been a very strong project to start the year with. One reason why is because we have to show who we are what we like how we see ourselves and how society sees me. When people see me they see a Latino guy that may look lazy sometimes or mad. Many people assume that Latino guys are not hard workers and that they are lazy. But, I am not. I see myself as a hard worker that does what he can and as a person that doesn’t give up. I have chosen to add a 1967 Ford Mustang because that shows that im a car enthusiast and that I like Mustang’s of course. Many people may believe that i’m just an ignorant guy sometimes too but that doesn’t always show who I really am. All of my objects show that i’m not just a car enthusiast but that i’m a school guy sometimes because sometimes I find school boring but i’m working on trying to make school more interesting for me so that I don’t feel school boring.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadow Box by Chris is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Shannen 3 months ago

Hi, Chris!

I really like the shadow box you have created. Without looking at your description, I could already tell much about who you are. I think it is interesting that you want to bring attention to issues such as stereotypes. As a Filipino who has previously lived in North Carolina, I have faced many negative stereotypes against me and my ethnicity; being viewed as “lazy” is definitely one of them. Stereotypes can be very hurtful, so I am very happy that you addressed this issue into your shadow box. However, I would like to comment on your last sentence. I am interested in knowing what you have done or what you are planning to do to make your school not as boring.

2. Nancy 3 months ago

Dear Chris,

I really like the shadow box that you have created. I like the way in which you incorporated cars which are your personal interest. I also like how you express your concern about people looking at Latinos as “lazy” I am a Latina as well and I can connect to the idea that there are many stereotypes against us, but clarifying who you really are is very good point to break such stereotypes. One thing that I really loved about your shadow box was that, you didn’t add so much things in it, it is very simple but totally defines who you are. You stated ” sometimes I find school boring but i’m working on trying to make school more interesting for me”. It would be great to know the things you do to make school a great experience and stay focus. Overall you did an amazing job creating a piece of art that totally represent you, your interests, the way you perceive yourself, and the way other people do.

3. robert buyard 5 months ago

Hi Chris my name is robert an i am a Fremont HS student and i really like your shadow box because i like cars too. plus i like the way you made your box by putting fabric and paper together.also i love the color blue