My Shadow Box

By:Wendy Perez Govea

This Shadow Box represents my counter narrative of my own chosen identity. When people look at me, they see the dominant narratives you hear people say like because I am Mexican I’m an immigrant or I shouldn’t be here in the US. Many people assume that my assigned identity is what represents me but not all the time. For example, because my sex is female I’m supposed to look or act in a mannerly way. Also, people think that because I live in the United States I shouldn’t speak Spanish because English should be the only language spoken here. My box is a counter narrative of these few dominant narratives because I get to share some of my chosen identities that I am proud of and items that represent me. I have chosen to include a award in my Shadow Box because I earn a lot of awards trying to make a change in my family and move my family forward and show oppressors my family is capable of getting educated and move forward. I included a black rose because usually people believe the color black is a depressing color but I really like black and gold and roses are a flower that people find really pretty so it represents that it can be something nice not always depressing. I included my family/friends and Mexican flag because I am very happy to be Mexican and have such a loving and supportive family and friends (I wasn’t able to include everyone) but I included them because they support me a lot. I included hoops in my Shadow Box because people think if you wear them you are a hoe or a chola but to me I use them because they are really pretty and they make me comfortable with who I am. I included a SF symbol because is my hometown.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Shadow Box by Wendy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Judith 5 days ago

Dear Wendy,
    I love how you decorated your box and I loved your reasoning behind the black rose. It was cool and I hadn’t thought about it like that before. However, I wonder how the black rose connects to your identity.

I also liked reading what you wrote about your award and your hoops. Your hoops are the coolest and you look the coolest wearing them ;).

I love you, your shadow box is great.

Judith

2. Bryan 5 days ago

Dear Wendy, I am honestly happy about how you did this project. I really liked your artist statement I thought that it was very strong you said a lot in just one paragraph which is outrageous. Your shadow box is cool I liked how you added a lot of pictures and I also liked the black roses you added in your shadow boxes. You did very good in this project keep up the good work.

Sincerely, Bryan Moreno 🙂

3. Ingrid 5 days ago

Dear Wendy,

I really liked how you explained what your shadow box is and what it represents. I agree with you when you said that people believe the black color is a depressing because it's actually not. I believe it's a beautiful color and something that just goes with everything. Am glad i read your artist statement because it helped me get to know you better. Also, am very proud of you because your happy to be mexican because usually some people are embarrassed from where they come from so am glad your not one of them.

Ingrid