,

The objects In my shadowbox represent the counter narrative of who I am. I have chosen to include a picture of both the flag of Mexico and the United States because it represents my nationality, I am a Mexican American due to the fact that I was born in the United States but my parents are from Mexico. Being a Latino is a very important part of my identity because along with it, it brings stories of bravery and courage. I have decided to put pictures of my Mexican family and my pets in my shadow box because they are one of the most important things in my life and they show what type of people we are, good people. This is actually a counter narrative contradicting what society assumes of Mexican families some people say that we are criminals because we came into this country illegally but in reality we are nicer than most people. Another part of me is being a women this is my assigned sex at birth and my chosen gender. And I break all dominant narratives that women are weak because of how I have managed certain experiences. I hold my head high because of the fact that I have been smart and resourceful when finding an escape from society’s stereotypes. I have strong traits that overpower all of the dominant narratives. And I lean on my faith when needing a solution. Having faith is very important due to the fact that I am a Jehovah’s Witness by choice. I included a picture of my bible and God’s name next to it because it’s the most important part of me.The bible has affected me positively. When I face complex problems, I turn to the Bible to enlighten me and help me cope with daily pressures, and to ease my distress.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Counter Narrative by Ivy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Shannen 1 month ago

Hi, Ivy!

Your shadow box looks amazing. You have done an incredible job showing to others who you are as a person and what your beliefs are. One of my favorite parts about your shadow box are the pictures of your family that you have scattered throughout as well as those in regards to your cultural identity. While I was born in the Philippines, I moved at a fairly young age and grew up in America. Unfortunately, I have never went back ever since my family immigrated. Despite this, I hold my Filipino identity very close to me and I can’t help but thank my parents for that. Another part that I really enjoyed is the idea of your shadow box being a counter narrative as a whole. I am happy that you are taking the time to address issues about these certain negative stereotypes places amongst Mexican families and women. Overall, I really do think you have done a great job.

2. Nancy 1 month ago

Dear Ivy,

I am very amazed by the work of art that you have created with your shadow box. Something that I really loved about your shadow box is that you included not just the United States flag but the Mexican flag as well. That really impressed me because althought you where born in the U.S you take your parents’ culture as part of yours too. Your shodow box is very creative and it totally fulfiils your identity because you included your culture, religion, family, etc. I also really like the stand that you are taking in the immigrationa and gender stereotypes. You stated ” This is actually a counter narrative contradicting what society assumes of Mexican families some people say that we are criminals because we came into this country illegally”. This is very brave from you to speak up, break and defend the idea that immigrants are criminals, it also shows your pride for your culture. I am Mexican as well and looking at the way you defende our Mexican culture makes me realize that in the way in which there is people that are against our culture, there are many of us defending it. You did such an amazing job putting all those pieces together to create a model of your identity.

Sincerely, Nancy
    #SJSU

3. Kelly 7 months ago

Dear Ivy,

I love you shadow box because you have many different pictures and I like how you decorated it. I also like how you build a roof on the top of your box. One part of your shadow box that stands out to me is where you put like I said before the roof. This stood out to me because I think it was a unique idea and I don’t think anybody else did it. Another part that stood out to me was the family pictures you included. This stood out to me because my family is very important to me as well. Thanks for your shadow box. I look forward to what you create next because I love how creative you are.

Sincerely, Kelly