The objects In my shadowbox represent the counter narrative of who I am. I have chosen to include a picture of both the flag of Mexico and the United States because it represents my nationality, I am a Mexican American due to the fact that I was born in the United States but my parents are from Mexico. Being a Latino is a very important part of my identity because along with it, it brings stories of bravery and courage. I have decided to put pictures of my Mexican family and my pets in my shadow box because they are one of the most important things in my life and they show what type of people we are, good people. This is actually a counter narrative contradicting what society assumes of Mexican families some people say that we are criminals because we came into this country illegally but in reality we are nicer than most people. Another part of me is being a women this is my assigned sex at birth and my chosen gender. And I break all dominant narratives that women are weak because of how I have managed certain experiences. I hold my head high because of the fact that I have been smart and resourceful when finding an escape from society’s stereotypes. I have strong traits that overpower all of the dominant narratives. And I lean on my faith when needing a solution. Having faith is very important due to the fact that I am a Jehovah’s Witness by choice. I included a picture of my bible and God’s name next to it because it’s the most important part of me.The bible has affected me positively. When I face complex problems, I turn to the Bible to enlighten me and help me cope with daily pressures, and to ease my distress.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Counter Narrative by Ivy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Kelly 2 months ago

Dear Ivy,

I love you shadow box because you have many different pictures and I like how you decorated it. I also like how you build a roof on the top of your box. One part of your shadow box that stands out to me is where you put like I said before the roof. This stood out to me because I think it was a unique idea and I don’t think anybody else did it. Another part that stood out to me was the family pictures you included. This stood out to me because my family is very important to me as well. Thanks for your shadow box. I look forward to what you create next because I love how creative you are.

Sincerely, Kelly