This is my Shadow Box. This Shadow Box represents the dominant narrative and counter narrative. The difference between these two is that dominant narrative means how society sees you as and counter narrative means how you see yourself as. I see myself as a proud Mexican because that is my Ethnicity that is where my parents came from. Society sees me as an Immigrant just because I’m Mexican when in reality my Nationality is American because I was born in the United States. When people look at me, they think I’m weak because I lost loved ones that mean alot of me but in reality I’m a strong person I manage to keep my head up even when life gets hard and that is what makes me strong. Many people may believe that being female as my assigned Sex and chosen Gender. you have to be a woman of the house when in reality us women are able to many things as man. The heart I have in the middle of my flag is my heart because I love where I come from.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Jocelyn’s Shadow Box by Jocelyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Leslie 2 months ago

Dear Jocelyn,
    I am impressed by your piece of writing “Jocelyn’s Shadow Box” because your words were powerful and you talked about a topic that is very important and sensitive sometimes. One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “you have to be a woman of the house when in reality us women are able to many things as man.” I think this is a stereotype that many women face and stay silent about it but you were able to address this stereotype.