This is my Shabox Box. What exactly is a Shadow Box? A Shadow Box is a box filled with your counter narratives countering the dominant narratives. A dominant narrative is something written by biased white people in power or people in power. A counter narrative is a story written by people who have less power to show our side of our story. My box is filled with my stories. The inside represents my counter narratives and the outside represents the dominant narratives. On the outside of the box I wrote PETA. I wrote that because PETA is animal rights. As the reader you might think how is that bad, well it’s bad because PETA hates one of my favorite anime and video game Pokemon. On the outside there is also the color red and a dollar bill. They represent the blood and money of the people in power. I wrote the words strong, unemotional, and fearless because of the stereotypes towards male people. On the inside, the quote by me that says, ”I don’t believe in god” represents that I’m Atheist. The mushroom, coins, pokemon stadium, and the mini nintendo switch represents my love for video games. The phone, Marvel logo, and car represents me being male because I love cars and I had one of those phone when I was very young and because Marvel is the best. The flag represents my nationality and the destroyed car represents my destructive side. The pen represents me being a student.This box represents me and my chosen identities.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Diego’s True self by Diego is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Tahdaja Peters 6 months ago

Hi Diego, I love what you shared in your shadow box!! My name is Tahdaja and I am a student at San Jose State University. I see you wrote about PETA and I actually do not know much about it. I would like to learn more about this topic since it does have an impact on you. I would also like to know more about your favorite anime! Thank you for your time and sharing information about yourself!!
    -Tahdaja

2. Marielle 6 months ago

Dear Diego,

I appreciate you sharing this with us! My name is Marielle Lacanlale and I am a student at San Jose State University. I noticed that you wrote about your favorite anime, Pokémon, and how PETA is against that. From my personal understanding, I know that PETA is works towards the ethical treatment of animals. I would like to ask you more about what you know about the topic of PETA and Pokémon. What are your thoughts about PETA and their opinions towards your favorite anime?

Thank you so much for your time and I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day. Hope to hear from you soon!

-Marielle

3. Fatima 11 months ago

Dear Diego,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Fatima Morales and I am a student at Fremont High School.
    Something I liked about your work was all the hard work it looks you’ve done.
    Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is http://fatimamfhs2022.edublogs.org/2018/11/06/assignment-3-the-identity-shadow-box/
    make sure to check it out.
    Thank You!

4. Edwin 1 year ago

Dear Diego
    I like how you add a model of a Nintendo Switch and a Fire powered Mario toy to show that you are a big fan of nintendo and its games and you are a very big nerd of nintendo for god’s sake. But I like how you add the american flag to show your nationality but why didn’t you put a mexican flag for your ethnicity and race? Also I like how put the pokemon field and logo. Thank You for your time.

Edwin M