1. Amani 4 weeks ago

This is a very interesting outlook and argument regarding policing immigration, Gwen. I find your arguments about how immigrants’ fear of deportation can affect the rest of the community, not only the immigrants directly. It is also interesting that you wrote about how what the police officers are doing is unconstitutional and not a part of their job, as they are supposed to be serving their community, their states and their country, not trying to deport undocumented immigrants. I definitely agree with you when you say “The police are there to protect the people in their jurisdiction and they cannot do that if there are people who are afraid to call and report crimes”. I have been interesting in learning more about the actions some officials are taking in regards to immigration, and I have never come across this argument before. It is very thought provoking. I think another article that would be interesting to read is “Is it constitutional to lock up immigrants indefinitely?” (https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/immigrants-rights-and-detention/it-constitutional-lock-immigrants). It is not directly related police officers, however it does question the actions and decisions of the Supreme Court regarding locking up immigrants. Do you have any insight on this perspective? I am looking forward to reading more about your outlook and research on other controversial issues.