Some people believe famous people’s support of international aid organizations draws attention to problems, while others argue that celebrities make the problem less vital. From my perspective, this is likely to be a controversial issue.

Movie stars, singers, and athletes usually can get more attention from the public because they have more followers. Their goal is to expose negative social issues like imbalanced child care resources so that more people will see the problems and try to tackle them. Celebrity contribution to aid programs helps to solve these problems, especially problems related to those topics that are not likely to be talked about in public due to cultural pressure. Sexual abuse is a topic that most people avoid talking about. Celebrities promote the cause of disadvantaged and underserved children who, for example, cannot access education due to a shortage of teachers. By informing the public about this issue, celebrities influence teachers so that they go to these areas and teach those children. If those celebrities do not reveal these issues, no teacher will help those children.

However, celebrities’ contribution may lead to over dependency. This means the government may start to pay less attention to those problems and depend on these famous stars to resolve those problems. Meanwhile, the public may think that these problems are too big; their abilities are limited, and they think that those celebrities will solve these problems anyway. They stop paying attention to these problems and only depend on those famous people for solutions.

The disadvantages of celebrity support of aid groups outweigh the advantages. I believe the most efficient way to give aid to global groups is through collective consciousness. Each individual should be aware of the impact he or she has on helping other people.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What is the Impact of Celebrities’ Help on International Aid Groups? by Li is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.