Over the past few decades, we have had a huge change in our lives. Smart phones have made our lives somersault. When we wake up in the morning, we probably check our phone to see if someone sent a message. When we have some free time, we may open instagram and check if there is anything new. Even if we have some important things to do, we still cannot stop playing with our phones. I also heard that someone checked his phone and did not notice a car driving towards him. He experienced a car accident. Is a smart phone beneficial for you?

All the APPs are designed to get your attention so that you spend more time on them. That is how the APP designers make money. Apparently, they did a good job. You love those applications and you spend plenty of time on them. They are stealing your time. Moreover, smart phone APPs drive young women to chase the filter look: In the 2017 Annual American Academy of Facial Plastic And Reconstructive Surgery survey, 55 percent of plastic surgeons stated that patients requested surgery “to improve their appearance in selfies” (https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/people-are-apparently-getting-plastic-surgery-to-look-more-like-snapchat-filters/ar-BBLsqA9). People are paying more attention to their appearance and undergo plastic surgery. I am not against plastic surgery, but it may have a cost. No matter how professional the doctor is, it still possible that the doctor has made some serious mistakes. There are bad consequences like blindness. Today’s young people depend on someone else to define their value. They base their self worth on the number of likes they receive on social media platforms such as facebook. One of the most important things in our lives is to be that kind of person you want to be. Take other people’s negative comments with a grain of salt. It is vital to follow your heart.

It is hard to say that we had a good couple of decades or a bad couple of decades. On one side of the debate, there is no doubt that smart phones make our lives more convenient. On the other side of the debate, smart phones dominate us and we cannot live without them.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Are You Using Your Phone or Is Your Phone Using You? by Li is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Amani 2 months ago

Li, this is a very interesting and thought provoking essay. I enjoyed reading it and I loved how you used different points of argument to strength your writing. For example, you talked about how app designers try to make their games as addictive as possible, and not only do they take away your money, but “they are stealing your time” as well. I also liked that you talked about how people, especially girls these days, are dependent on their likes on social media and they are obsessed with getting a “perfect selfie look”. You did a good job of planting seeds of thought into your audience’s mind and forcing them to think about how smartphones are affect them and their lives. Everything you said really resonates with me as well as probably any other teenager, or adult even. An article that I think you would find interesting is about how “Smartphone technology is slowly taking over our lives” (http://www.laloyolan.com/opinion/smartphone-technology-is-slowly-taking-over-our-lives/article_610f2815-992b-5dd8-b6b3-6180575495e5.html). In your conclusion you stated the positive and negative of smartphones, but in the main body of your essay you mainly discussed the negatives. Does that mean you believe smartphones are doing more harm than good? Or are you at a neutral position? I would love to read more of your argumentative work, it is very interesting.

2. Joseph 2 months ago

Li, this post is very interesting. Everyone these days are obsessed about their iPhone and the next one coming out. Another negative about smartphones is that it decreases the need for in person interactions. There has been an obvious drop in people physically going out and interacting face to face with friends; instead they text them or speak to them over video game chat. I really liked this post of yours and I would definitely come back to learn more about restrictions or increases/decreases in smart phone use.
    Here is an interesting article on the use of social media and a decreases in physical interactions.
    https://rampages.us/peasedn200/2015/12/01/final-inquiry-project/

3. Kasandra 2 months ago

Interesting article, Li! The topics of cell phones is certainly a relevant one in today’s society. I liked how you included that cell phones make our lives “more convenient” yet dominate our lives at the same time. Based on your post I think you would enjoy reading this article (http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/10/22/gahran.mobile.phone.lives/index.html) that I recently read. I look forward to seeing what you post next because this was definitely an interesting topic.