As far as I know discrimination against women began in the beginning; I’m going to say in Biblical times, although I know there was a time before the Bible was written.  In the creation story, Eve lead her husband Adam astray with a forbidden fruit and was then punished or cursed by God. That was the last time man and woman was considered equal; although I feel that Eve’s punishment was cruel and inhuman to say the least.  The order or directives about the forbidden fruit was given to Adam first and foremost. Up until the punishment, I didn’t read or know of a time that God even spoke to Eve to give her directions. So I believe the onus falls on Adam for disobeying.

Secondly, societies evolved from nomadic existence to  agrarian societies thanks to the Neolithic Revolution so the roles of man and women were distinguished by what they were physically able to do.  Discrimination became apparent when men could lift more than women

Or they could run faster or kill better than women.

I want to know who was actually the first person to discriminate? Was it a caveman? Or Some intelligent society?  Or just like some believe the Great Pyramids and ancient monuments were built by aliens from outer space, maybe an alien told men that they should treat women inferior.

According to Dan Holliday, “before the Industrial Revolution the male endurance value and physical strength translated directly to political power.

In addition, News Wise writes, “throughout history, women have faced intense discrimination—from a lack of legal rights and very little independence from their husbands, to being thought to have inferior brains. In many societies, women have long been viewed as less than fully human.”

It’s amazing how distortions can occur just to satisfy someone’s selfishness or personal opinions.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Who was the first to discriminate against women? by Marjorie is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jacob 2 months ago

Interesting idea Marjorie! I want to dress your use of the story of the Fall of Man from the Bible. I fundamentally disagree with your interpretation of Genesis Chapter 3. You state that you’re not sure that Eve even knew about the rule of eating from the tree until she mentions in the conversation with the serpent, but do you believe that that truly excuses her mistake. She still states that God had said not to even touch the fruit from the tree in the middle of the Garden, but yet she is tempted by the serpent.
    The story of the Fall of Man is a faith story, and is simply used to explain natural phenomenon so the argument that God’s punishment of painful childbirth is far more inhumane isn’t very sturdy either. This was an observable thing to the authors of the book of Genesis and therefore you cannot argue that God’s “punishment” is an act of discrimination against women. I’m not saying there is no discrimination in this Genesis, as God also says that the husband will have dominion over the wife but it’s not like one day a bunch of guys decided “We’re going to make the Women listen to us and say God made them do it.” This sentiment was most likely cultivated over hundreds of years, and probably came from the fact that Women are the natural caregivers to children, seeing how they birth them and nurse them and all that. While that doesn’t mean that Men should have dominion over Women, and as time went on I’m sure the role of Men grew and the role of Women shrank due to this. I don’t believe that it was because men could lift more or run faster, but was instead due to the fact that during the growth of the child, especially at a young age, Women had to be around the child more in case it needed anything and so it would be harder for them to travel long distances, chasing a deer. I’m not at all saying this justifies discrimination but it is most likely the original cause of discrimination.