A football team was stuck in a dark underground cave in Thailand. It is generally accepted that the coach’s experience with meditation helped him and the team to stay calm, sitting and waiting.  However, meditation may cause the football team to lose the opportunity to survive.
When they were stuck in the cave, they did not know if or when they would be found. It is necessary that they try to save themselves. They can send a signal instead of sitting and waiting and let people outside the cave know there are people stuck inside the cave, and that they need help.
The longer they stay in the cave, the less the chance to survive.  In the cave, they feel anxiety, fear, confusion, vulnerability and dependency, and perhaps hopelessness; these feelings will be more serious as time passes. Trying to save themselves may significantly decrease the time they stay in the cave.
When the football team came out of the cave, all the news reports that the survivors have mental health issues caused by this experience. I do not believe that mental health issues are the only result of this experience. During this ordeal, they learned how to overcome loneliness. They will be mentally stronger than other adolescents. They will have remarkable inner strength, which is good for their future development.
​​​​​​

CC BY-SA 4.0 Reflection on the Thailand Cave Rescue by Li is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.