I am from the pink lake and slaves’ house, from sabar and thiebou djeun.
From the 200m2 straw hut shared with the whole family, cramped and  tribal with the scent of a secret mix of thiouraye.

I am from the baobab, big and scary the madd sweet, or spicy, the kinkeliba leaves  hot and delicious, enjoyed, by my friends and me under a tree, where we sit talking about everything and nothing.

I am from korite, tabaski and  hospitality,                                                                                                                   From Absa and Niania, and Yakhya.

I am from the shouting of my uncles over a soccer game, strong and loud.

I am from the excitement of my cousins as we approach holidays.
From  “appreciate whatever you have and share with whomever is in need.”

I am from faith, charity and a pilgrimage to Mecca,                                                                                                   From Ramadan and the five daily prayers.

I’m from mbalax, drums, and all different kinds of music.                                                                                             From mortar and pestle and the wood sifter..

I am from the “guess what” and “let me tell you something”, the “what’s wrong” and the “I am here for you” I am from where everyone plays around no matter how big the situation is.                                                                           From corruption and a lack of universities.

I am from Gueule Tapee, where everyone is welcomed, the city of gossip, curiosity and pride.    I am from generosity, happiness and memories.

Photo by jurvetson

CC BY-SA 4.0 My experiences, my treasure. by Mame is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Madjiguene 4 months ago

Dear Mame

I am happy to read your poem because you write and is about Senegal were you from . I love this poem because you wrote about your country and where you live. I also came from the same country as you. We celebrate the same holidays and have similar customs.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “I am from the pink lake and slaves’ house, from sabar and thiebou djeun. I think this is interesting because when I read this line, I could see it in my head. It sparked a memory of time where I had seen the pink lake. I remember how surprised and shocked I was to look at the strange colored water.

Another sentence that I liked was “I am from the baobab, big and scary the madd sweet, or spicy, the kinkeliba leaves hot and delicious, enjoyed, by my friends and me under a tree, where we sit talking about everything and nothing.” I liked the way you described the baobab. I also like that you gave us a memory of a time where you were enjoying it with friends.

Your poem reminds me of somethings that happened to me. One time during Tabaski I was sick. sick and I was not celebrating it with my family because I didn’t want to go to the hospital. Although I didn’t want to ruin the celebration my family came to celebrate with me anyway. This shows how hospitable people are in our culture.
    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because i like to learn about your experiences and thoughts.