My name is Muyar Khant Naing.I’m from Myanmar(Burma). Now I live in New York. My family won the lottery. We immigrated to New York last year. It’s takes 24 hours to reach New York with a plane from my country. I’m in 10th grade. I’m studying at the International High School for Health Sciences. I have to learn six subjects in my school- Math, English, Science, History, Art, CTE, Reading and Gym. We have also advisory time.

I like to read books at school when I’m free. When I’m reading book,I forget about problems. At home I usually watch movies when I’m free. My favourite subject at school is Math. Probably it may be difficult for some students but for me it’s not that much difficult.sometimes it is confusing but  solving math problems make me relax.

Our family came to New York because there is a better future for all of us. And there is a better economic system. I want to be a doctor in my future. It will change my life really if my dream come true. First,I have language problem. It is really difficult to communicate with people who speak English so fast because I’m the beginner. But speaking with people makes me more confident. There are positives and negatives because when we came to New York everything is good but there is no family time in american life. Everyone goes to work and school and then go to sleep.This is the reason  I am disappointment with New York. Anyway New york is one of my favourite place and i hope it will help me in many ways.

And there is justice in New York for everyone even you are employee or not. We get more opportunities in education or in economy. In some country including my country, sometime there is no justice for employee or the poor man. For example when the economy is down, the owner give small amount of salary. Our country is an agriculture country but there is so many farmers that there are no jobs.The president took their farm.But they still have to work for them .This is the injustice from my country.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Immigration by Muyar Khant is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Marjorie 4 months ago

Hi Muyar

Thank you for sharing your story. I think it’s great that you think there is justice for everyone in New York. Sometimes when other people from other countries come to America, they find that it is better than where they came from but in actuality, there are many injustices in New York. Many people suffer injustices everyday, some have even died of injustice actions and/or policies. If you are aware of injustice you can always strive for change.

Because you know of injustices in Burma, I hope that you will stand up for justice everywhere and always. Good luck in your new school and continue to work hard towards your goals.

Marjorie

2. Lona 4 months ago

Dear Muyar,

I enjoyed reading your story, thank you for sharing it.

I felt so excited to read that your family won the immigration lottery to come to the US. That is pretty cool!

I appreciate what you said about how difficult it is to have family time in a busy place like New York City. I think many families are trying to figure out how to find even a small amount of time to spend together. Perhaps you can come up with some ideas of how to help your family find time to spend together.

I am definitely looking forward to reading more of your posts on Youth Voices.

Lona