My name is Evelyn Ramirez Velazquez and I was born in Mexico. I am 19 years old. I have lived in Puebla, Mexico and Brooklyn N.Y. In school I like to learn new things like new words in English and play with my friends in gym, and when I am out of school, I like to talk with my siblings and cousins in  English to practice more the pronunciation of English, and I like to go to the park and play soccer with my sisters or friends. I am particularly good at listening when a person is complaining. I became good at this because I like people to listen to me. In the future, I would like to be a nurse or dentist.  My dream is to keep studying and speak English well.

I immigrated to New York  two years with eight months ago. My life change in many ways when I immigrated to the United states . The change that I like the most is that I can be with my family because I like to share the happy moments with them and be able to talk with them and be together with my siblings. On the other hand, I’m sad that I do not have many friends just because I can not speak English very well. Now I speak English and Spanish, which is more fun and easy to communicated with the people.

There was a time in my life when I experienced justice. When I was in Mexico my parents had guardianship but I never received anything from my father and did not know anything about him. My mother decided to go to the United States to work and be able to give me what was necessary to  study. My mother applied for guardianship when I arrived to the United States. I was 16 years old when I came to the United States . This was the time when me and my mother went to the court so a judge could appoint my mom as my guardian. In my opinion this was fair because I was living with my mom and I didn’t know anything about my dad.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Immigrant Life by Evelyn is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Louise Bauso 2 months ago

Dear Evelyn:

I am amused your post, “Immigrant Life,” because it made me laugh out loud when you said that you were good at listening to people complain. I’m good at that too!
    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “I became good at this because I like to people listen to me.” I think this is interesting and also inspiring because I can tell you like to give advice, and you probably give great advice!

2. Samuel 2 months ago

Evelyn

Thank you for sharing your immigration story.

My students and I in Philadelphia have been learning about the internal and external conflicts that immigrants experience in the USA and around the world. I am going to encourage them to respond to your post.

Reed