I am a very calm and trustworthy person because people these days like me you don’t get often I’m the one to always to depend on. I was born on October 2, 2000. I always lived in New York City all my life ever since my parents were here. I like to play basketball every day. I practice every day of the week and also I study just to finish my assignments on time. I’m good at resolving problems on my own because I’m pretty wise for my age and I always finds ways to get my way in a positive route. My future in the future is to further my career as a basketball player or an engineer as my backup plan or play overseas basketball to accomplish my goal.

Immigration impacted me when I was younger. When I was like 9 years old, my uncle and I couldn’t go to Florida because he wasn’t a legal American in the United States. When I immigrated, it made me more strong mentally because kids were saying Max couldn’t get on the plane cause he’s a Mexican which wasn’t true so I minded my business and just annoyed everyone.  

My family felt bad that we didn’t go on the plane so we went to six flags and had a great all day then I went to Florida that week with my mom. Also, my uncle took the action of getting his citizenship with the support of our family.
Were these changes positive or negative?  These changes had a negative impact because we are more alert than usual because he never been discriminated from anything and it’s weird that we didn’t go on a plan because my uncle is an illegal immigrant.

Justice is fairness in the protection of rights and punishment of wrongs. While all legal systems aim to uphold this ideal through the fair and proper administration of the law of the land, it is possible to have unjust laws. the quality or fact of being unjust inequality, violation of the rights of others; unjust or unfair action or treatment. I remember when a lady was being yelled at by her boss for little things that weren’t that serious then she got fired. I was at my mother job when I was on my phone and it bothered me. Basically, it was her and her boss because they say that she’s always being yelled at for a lame excuse that’s not her responsibility. I feel like this was a racial discrimination because no one should have that type of treatment in a workplace and give someone unnecessary work, having to much pressure it’s just like they just don’t want you here or not be successful.

CC BY-SA 4.0 My Immigration Story by Maxwell is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Marjorie 2 weeks ago

Hi Max,
    Thank you for posting. I appreciate your hard work and your courage to share your story. Never let setbacks stop you but use them as motivation.

Ms. P

2. Lona 2 weeks ago

Dear Maxwell,

Thank you for your post. I really appreciated hearing your perspective on immigration based on your family’s experience.

I am so inspired by how focused you are on managing the responsibilities in your life. It seems that you are able to strike a balance between your academic and your basketball life. Good for you, that is not an easy thing to do.

I look forward to reading more of your posts on Youth Voices.

Ms. Lona

3. Nestor 2 weeks ago

I feel your pain. The stuff has happen to me too and i liked how you told us your life story just keep going and make this a motivation and be some on one day!!.