My name is Kevin Del Toro and I’m in 10th grader in Oakland Unity High School and in my English class we have been learning about the subject of Artificial Intelligence and if they are going to grow smarter than humans and take over or are they going to work alongside humans. In my opinion, I’m in between they are going to help and they are not. I feel like robots are going to be to smart and are going to find a way to take over but at the same time I feel like they are going to help humanity a lot because I mean we already have robots that help us a lot.

I believe that robots are going to grow to smart and going to take over. For example in the movie iRobot with Will Smith this robot that humans created tried to take over. Like it was so smart that it took the Laws that they give them and looked at them in a different way. This robot name was Viki and she was a supercomputer that was use for this robotic company. In this movie they had 3 laws for robots which were

1. A robot may not injure a human being, or through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

So every robot that this company made which was the USR had to follow these laws. But Viki was so concerned for humans safety that she would take over humanity. So she started to try to control humans and everybody that interfered would be attacked by robots. But she was stopped. This relates to my opinion which is that robots might takeover humanity or would help humans because Viki was taking over humanity to help out humans. She thought if she took over humanity humans would be safer. But she went so far as to trying to eliminate people who interfered.This could happen in the real world because people are already creating these robots and computers that are real smart. Were not that far from these robots and computer to make decisions for themselves.

But i also believe that robots are going to work alongside humans. I believe this because i mean we already have robots that already help us like we have robots helping in hospitals and in the military. Like we have robots that can do surgeries already and we have robots going into battle. These robots are also developing still to. For example in the article In Defense of Killer Robots it talk about how humans make mistakes in Combat and how they don’t respond 100% they make mistakes like forgetting instructions, misjudging distance, civilians for combatants and its saying how robots would do a lot better than soldiers and would not make mistakes like them. For example “Computers, in contrast, are excellent in crisis and combat situations.They don’t get mad, don’t get scared, and they don’t act out of sentimentality.” This is saying how they don’t have feeling which would not make them act out in multiple ways that humans do. Like if there is a combatant that is young a soldier would feel bad to shoot him so they would not shoot them. But a robot would shoot him because he would not feel anything for him because the  robots target its to kill any enemies which in this case the young person is.

So this is my opinion in Artificial Intelligence and how it would affect humanity in the future.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is artificial Intelligence going to take over Humanity or work alongside Humans by Kevin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.