Why are more and more teenagers being diagnosed with mental illnesses such a y s depression and anxiety?

Problems at school. At school, depression may lead to poor attendance, a drop in grades, or frustration with schoolwork.
Running away. Many depressed teens run away from home or talk about running away.
Drug and alcohol abuse. Teens may use alcohol or drugs in an attempt to help with their depression.
Low self-esteem. Depression can trigger feelings of ugliness, shame, failure, and unworthiness.

How bad is depression in schools?

Why do teens run away and ask for help?

Why would teens go to drugs to try and help with depression?

“Unrealistic academic, social, or family expectations can create a strong sense of rejection and can lead to deep disappointment. When things go wrong at school or at home, teens often overreact. Many young people feel that life is not fair or that things “never go their way.” They feel “stressed out” and confused. To make matters worse, teens are bombarded by conflicting messages from parents, friends and society. Today’s teens see more of what life has to offer — both good and bad — on television, at school, in magazines and on the Internet. They are also forced to learn about the threat of AIDS, even if they are not sexually active or using drugs.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 Getting Started by Jean Carlos is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.