Why are more and more teenagers being diagnosed with mental illnesses such a y s depression and anxiety?

Problems at school. At school, depression may lead to poor attendance, a drop in grades, or frustration with schoolwork.
Running away. Many depressed teens run away from home or talk about running away.
Drug and alcohol abuse. Teens may use alcohol or drugs in an attempt to help with their depression.
Low self-esteem. Depression can trigger feelings of ugliness, shame, failure, and unworthiness.

How bad is depression in schools?

Why do teens run away and ask for help?

Why would teens go to drugs to try and help with depression?

“Unrealistic academic, social, or family expectations can create a strong sense of rejection and can lead to deep disappointment. When things go wrong at school or at home, teens often overreact. Many young people feel that life is not fair or that things “never go their way.” They feel “stressed out” and confused. To make matters worse, teens are bombarded by conflicting messages from parents, friends and society. Today’s teens see more of what life has to offer — both good and bad — on television, at school, in magazines and on the Internet. They are also forced to learn about the threat of AIDS, even if they are not sexually active or using drugs.”

CC BY-SA 4.0 How bad is teen depression? by Jean Carlos is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. James 1 month ago

Jean Carlos,

Thank you for taking the time to tackle such a pressing, yet seldom talked about issue. Even since when I was born I feel that I have seen an increase in depression among many people our age, and its a problem with few answers. Where I am in Utah the depression rate is far higher than the national average and this is actually attributed to the higher elevation and less oxygen in the air, which is interesting. Your ideas on cultural effects such as unrealistic expectations are interesting and something that we can change. Thanks for your input and I hope you expand on your ideas in this article.

2. Anna 1 month ago

Jean Carlos, thank you for sharing your opinions on teenage depression. I found your research extremely easy to relate to because myself and many of my friends deal with depression as well. The symptoms you listed impact many lives and it is very important to know when medication is needed. Here is a source for further information https://www.webmd.com/depression/default.htm . Thank you for sharing! -Anna