My name is Jesus Muniz, I’m currently a sophomore at Oakland Unity High School. I am writing this post to answer the question Do you think that robots in the future will, in fact, lead an uprising and enslave humanity? Will they become our benevolent masters, faithful servants, or something in-between?

In my opinion, Artificial Intelligence has the ability enslave and overrule the human species, all it needs is the right timing. Many believe that AI robots are created to help the human race in their special needs; such as medical assistance, advancing in technology, ending wars much quicker, and in general making our lives much easier. In the other hand there has been many “red flags” that we have brushed off like it was nothing. Even movies, starred in 1927 have emphasized robots will one day overrun their software and go on a killing spree. A modern-day movie starring the famous Will Smith, called “I Robot”. It talks about how the world has developed in the future and everything is dependent on robots and humans have lost their will of life. In order to keep the robots in line they must follow three simple laws only applied to them in which are “A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.” Throughout the movie Will Smith’s character plays a detective in an investigation in a murder involving a robot and their scientist creator. His lead is a robot who isn’t programmed to follow the 3 laws, but in reality the killer was the main system, it updated itself to not follow the 3 laws in which later wanted to create a robot revolution in order to help the human race. As you can see in this movie and like many other, a software system is allowed and is willing to update their mainframe and develop a conscious state of being. In the system’s defense all it wanted to do is help the human race in the only way it possibly knows, but that would mean enslaving the human race and abolishing their human rights.

Another example can be found in the article called “Autonomous Weapons Would Take Warfare To A New Domain, Without Humans”. This article talks about a soldier having a difficult decision to make; he has to make the decision to execute a little girl working for the Taliban that was scouting their position. After that, the soldier’s superiors were debating on what would a killer combat robot would do differently. According to the article the robot who have the ability to operate in the battlefield, they will do everything they can to execute the mission. If there were many robots deployed without any human to execute the final order there will be many malfunctions and a mass killing of innocent civilians. Henceforth, in that dystopian future, it can be very similar to many popular movies like Terminator, Robocop. Humans will be lost with this new adjustment and robots will rule.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Artificial Intelligence; Threat? by Jesus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.