My name is Priscilla and as a sophomore here at Unity High, we are currently focused on whether robots will be  dangerous or beneficial, in English class. We have been exposed to different texts and videos to expose ourselves to the different perspectives of this discussion. There have been texts that lean more to robots being dangerous or safe, but others are in the  middle. After consideration, I have come to the conclusion that robots will be beneficial to an extent because we, as humans, will control them. Robots will be something in-between of the two extremes because the power is in our hands, the robots’ future is not in their hands. It’s not a question of whether robots will be beneficial but rather a question of whether we as humans will make them beneficial or not.

The movie, I, Robot shows robots having a mind of their own. I, Robot is a movie directed by Alex Proyas that was released in July 16, 2004. Some pop culture movies give robots a bad rep. For example, VIKI, Virtual Interactive Kinetic Intelligence, was like a movie version of Siri. Siri is a personal assistant app, on IOS devices, where you ask, she answers, and can control a lot of your phone. Similarly, VIKI can control a bunch of robots. In the movie, VIKI ends up being the villain to humans. VIKI gets so attached to humans that she is willing to make robots kill some humans to save the majority, because it is part of the 3 laws of robotics. The 3 laws consist of keeping humans safe, obeying the orders of humans, and protecting themselves. VIKI reinterprets the 1st law into it’s fine to kill some humans because it will mean safety for most humans. I believe this is not an accurate representation of what life will be like in the future with robots. We won’t be in a situation like that because we wouldn’t Siri or anything else get to that point. WIthout strict rules, we would quickly get to the point where robots would take over and enslave humanity. We are responsible for setting the limit to not let robots step up and try to take over.

Our future can go two ways and it’s all up to us: we could implement our own torture by making our robots too advanced or make our lives super boring because robots will do everything for us. The article “Better Than Human: Why Robots Will -And Must- Take Our Jobs” is written by Kevin Kelly and explains a possible future. The article states “Success will go to those who innovate in the customization of the process of work with bots and machines”. This quote proves how the beneficiality of robots depends on how smart we are. If we are smart enough to help ourselves than robots will just be an assistant,otherwise they would destroy us. Employers will start to teach robots to do their jobs of cooking, carpentry, and more than anything, computer stuff. But employers will realize they have nothing to do. On the other hand, if we give robots too many advancements, we might just be giving them more power to take over us.

To make sure our future with robots is positive, we will have to regulate how advanced robots can be. We would have to slowly implement new features into our robots instead of adding them all at once, to make sure it’s not overpowering. Also, we would have to make sure that there is still a clear line between humans and robots, meaning we don’t share the same features or feelings to keep us safe from robots. Our responsibility is to not let these robots get emotions that make them want to be like us. The process of making robots for the future doesn’t have to be stopped but should be guarded.

Proyas, Alex, director. I, Robot. 20th Century Fox, 2004.

Kelly, Kevin, author. “Better Than Human: Why Robots Will -And Must- Take Our Jobs”. 24 December 2012

CC BY-SA 4.0 The Future With Robots by Priscilla is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.