Hello, my name is Gabriel I am a sophomore here at unity high school. Recently we have been discussing robots and how they could help us in the future or potentially become a danger or cause to the extension of humans. I believe that robots will actually lead us to a better and safer future, but on the other hand, others don’t agree with me, they think that robots are a harm to society. According to Stephen Hawking, the theoretical physicist had said ”the primitive forms of artificial intelligence we already have, have proved very useful. But I think the development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race. It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever-increasing rate.” I feel as if people are scared due to how robots are portrayed in media, the way robots are presented in media are usually as  killer robots one example where they do so is in the movie Irobot, In this film, it shows us a future where robots had been built to help humans live, the main character detective Del Spooner had to investigate a Death of a very respected doctor. In this world, robots were programmed with laws called ”the three laws” these laws were made in order to make sure that robots were no harm to humans, these laws were: 1)A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm, 2) A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the first law, and the final being 3) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the first or second laws. throughout the movie, we see the main character being chased and or hurt by a robot in the movie they give the robots abnormal strengths such as speed, strength and other skills. the detective wonders why robots try to hurt him even when the three laws had been implemented, at the end of the movie(SPOILER FOR A 13-YEAR-OLD MOVIE)  we found out that the one making the robots react like they did was an artificial intelligence named V.I.K.I an intelligence made by Alfred Lanning who had been mysteriously killed at the beginning of the film, he was also the person who had made V.I.K.I and all of the robots. the fear of humans is that one day this artificial intelligence will rebel and attack humans. In the movie, we find out that the reason why the robots had been hurting and killing humans is that they misunderstood the three laws, therefore, attacking and killing humans. The way robots have been portrayed hasn’t been well with some exceptions. In my class, we have also looked at many old movie posters about killer robots In all of the posters it showed a killer robot holding a woman while she is passed out which adds to the fear of robots to people, I think that robots will actually help us get closer to the future, to help us. I feel as if this fear that people have ma be holding us back from the future. looking at it now I may also have a fear of robots but, we have to walk on, one step at a time to the future. And get past this fear together.

CC BY-SA 4.0 ROBOTS!!!! by Gabriel is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.