In the United States of America there is still some controversy about rights people living in the United States have. Including immigrants and people from a different country should have. So, the question is ”  If I’m being completely honest I think we should ALL have the same rights an average white man would have.

After the civil war an issue that occurred was the right to vote. What was debated were rights of black American men and former Confederate men to vote. The Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution (which was in 1868) gave African-Americans the rights of citizenship. However, this did not exactly give us the green light into being able to have the ability to vote. Later on (in the later 1860’s) the Reconstruction acts gave former male slaves the right to vote and hold public office. Congress passed the fifteenth Amendment which was guaranteeing African-American men the right to vote.

Since immigrants are coming in from a foreign country the government has been denying them. They have stripped due process and equal protection with in the immigration process. Our nation has the power to control our borders and control immigration from coming in the United States, but can not exactly “deny immigrants their fundamental rights.” . However, immigrants are routinely denied their constitutional right to a day in court. When I first was made aware of this the first thing that came to my mind is that “they’re unprotected citizens.” which is what us African american were back in the day. To this day immigration can still be deported even if they were a resident in the United States for a while. It doesn’t even matter if you have a spouse or children in the US.

Cite:

FAIRNESS FOR ALL – THE WORK OF THE IMMIGRANTS’ RIGHTS PROJECT

CC BY-SA 4.0 What rights should people living in the US have? by Shabria is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.