Childish Gambino’s video, “This is America”, is by Donald Glover. He created this music video because he trying to tell society that people back then had issue with slavery and how they had a lot of racism going on back then and he’s showing us how right now we still have people are racist and we shouldn’t be quiet about it. The central message in this video is about guns and violence in America and the fact that we deal with them and consume them as part of entertainment. And because of events like Sutherland Springs church shooting and Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, violence, especially gun violence, has become part of our national conversation.  

One part of the video that stands out for me is was when Gambino was trying to illustrate how people don’t pay attention to things that are happening around them.

One of the many things that Gambino show on this video was how violence are taking over our community and society and how people don’t pay attention to things that are happening now. Then there is another part of the video when donald was running away from a group of people. I think he was showing how terrified was people back then.

Another part that I loved was when Gambino is trying to illustrate how people don’t pay attention to things that are happening around them. One of the many things that Gambino shows in this video is how violence is taking over our communities and society and how people don’t pay attention to things that are happening now. This stood out for me because people don’t pay attention to things that are happening in society they try to be blind and pretend like nothing happen.

Donald Glover’s music video reminds me of something that I made once. One time I had to write and essay about violence and how violence can affect society and even our community, your music explain every issues that happened or is happening now you was trying to tell us through your music.

The video ends with Childish Gambino running away from a group of white people. I read, ”An Expert’s Take on the Symbolism in Childish Gambino’s Viral ‘This Is America’ Video, By MAHITA GAJANAN, {May 7, 2018, Time..) One part of the article is saying that he was trying to show what happened back then and how black people are getting persecute even today:

The final moments of the video show Gambino running, terrified, down a long dark hallway away from a group of people as Young Thug sings “You just a Black man in this world / You just a barcode, ayy.” Gambino’s sprint goes back to a long tradition of black Americans having to run to save their lives, according to Ramsey, who says one song dating back to slavery in the 19th century was called “Run N— Run.”

I think that what Gajana said is true because what Gambino was illustrating what happen before and that are happening now, like black people getting accused of everything that be happening in society.

I’m glad Donald Glover made this video for your video. I look forward to seeing what he makes next, because what he did in the video, “This Is America,” made me realize that we are going through those things and we just pay more attention to it.

CC BY-SA 4.0 What’s happening now by Ronaysi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Cesar 3 weeks ago

You did a great job breaking down his philosophy and the message he was trying to show.

Ronaysi 2 weeks ago

thank you for replying to my article. By the way I just added more to my article about the ending of the video you should give a look at it