Many people that are living in the US should have rights of being an American.  They should have the rights of life, liberty, and freedom. A document from the Reconstruction period about the Thirteenth Amendment, Fourteenth Amendment, and Fifteenth Amendment stated, “No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” This quotation explains how all Americans should have the rights to vote under any circumstances and that they should have the freedom as long they are a citizen of the United States. It also shows that all American would receive similar treatment and opportunity.

Another example that shows what rights should people have in the US was during the Black Codes in Opelousas, Louisiana. It stated, “No freedman who is not in the military service shall be allowed to carry firearms, or any weapons, within the limits of the town of Opelousas without the special permission of his employer, in writing, and approved by the mayor or president of the board of police.” This quote explains that former slaves could not own firearms while White Americans could. It also infers that although they’re free, African Americans still weren’t included in what it meant to be American. It also stated, “No public meetings of negroes shall be allowed within the limits of the town of Opelousas under any circumstances without the permission of the mayor or president of the board of police.” This statement demonstrates that White Americans were allowed to travel freely, while African Americans were required to be in service for the Whites.

Although all Americans should receive equal opportunity, this sadly does not occur everywhere in our country. This modern example of Police Brutality explains that many people are still being treated badly due to their skin color, race, and many more. In the article, it stated, “The rally’s mission was to address gun violence in schools, after a shooting that left 17 people dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fl. According to The Washington Post, there have been 130 school shootings — and as many deaths — in elementary, middle and high schools since 2000.” This quote reveals that every day someone dies from gun violence and it’s severely affecting this country. Although many people are still being treated poorly, Americans still extremely value equality, and our country should still continue to aim toward this goal of equality.

To conclude, since there are many fundamental rights for Americans, Africans American can only have individual rights under an oppressive system that benefits the Whites during Reconstruction.

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Rights by Hui is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jean Carlos 1 month ago

is there a way for people to gain rights?

2. lillian 2 months ago

Hui,
    I enjoyed reading this essay. I think it covers three very prominent issues of today, police brutality, equal rights, and school violence. All three things I believe in reform very strongly. When you said “African Americans still weren’t included in what it meant to be American. It also stated, “No public meetings of negroes shall be allowed within the limits of the town of Opelousas under any circumstances without the permission of the mayor or president of the board of police.””, I think that is a very good example of systematic racism in action. And in your conclusion paragraph, when you said “Africans American can only have individual rights under an oppressive system that benefits the Whites”, that was a very strong way to end the essay and makes people keep thinking about the issues covered after they finished reading.

3. Jesus 2 months ago

So what can be done in order to give everyone equal rights?