People living in the US should have rights of life, liberty, freedom, and property. They should also have the rights of a citizen, like to vote or do go whatever they feel. Not having these rights makes people in the U.S. feel restricted and unable to do what others can. A quote that supports my main idea is, “Nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.”  This quote demonstrates that every citizen Freedman or not should have the rights to life and liberty and their own property. They should also be given their freedom and the ability to do what a free citizen is capable of doing. This document also states, “nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” This means that people living in the U.S. should have equal rights to each other and equal protection to those rights. Every person living in the U.S. should feel like a citizen and they shouldn’t feel stripped of their privileges. Another quote that supports this is, No negro shall be allowed to come within the limits of the town of Opelousas without special permission from his employers.” From this quote, it is now clear that certain people living in the U.S. aren’t allowed to do certain things. This makes them feel restricted and they can’t do what others living in the U.S. at the time can. This makes them not feel like Americans, but they should be able to and have the rights that other have. While in theory to be an American means that people living in the US should have rights of life, liberty, freedom, and property, recent history shows that organizations like the government aren’t taking the rights of people living in the U.S. seriously and are using it for advantage. A quote that explains this is, “I’m really focusing not on the possibility that one administration or one agency can change the nature of this country or the character of this country. But I’m focusing on what that means. And I think that it really means that the government is not really taking seriously the types of contributions that immigrants have made to this country.” From this quote, it is understandable that the government isn’t taking the rights a citizen should have seriously. They are nowhere close to finding solutions to these problems, and if this doesn’t change then the amount of immigrants in this country will decrease. In conclusion, people in the U.S. are entitled to their life, liberty, and freedom and should be placed on no restrictions.

Staff, LII. “14th Amendment.” LII / Legal Information Institute, 10 Oct. 2017, www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv.

Shmoop Editorial Team, Shmoop. “14th Amendment.” Shmoop, Shmoop University, 11 Nov. 2008, www.shmoop.com/constitution/14th-amendment.html.

Meraji, Shereen Marisol, and Leah Donnella. “What Does It Mean To Be A ‘Nation Of Immigrants’?” NPR, NPR, 28 Feb. 2018, www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/02/28/589249748/what-does-it-mean-to-be-a-nation-of-immigrants.

CC BY-SA 4.0 American Dream by Jaylin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Jean Carlos 3 months ago

I agree with what you wrote this this how america should look and feel like.

2. Saul 3 months ago

I agree with everything you wrote keep moving forward.