In this retelling of the classic fairy tale The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen, you, as the reader, get to influence the story. Controlling the main decision the mermaid makes, you get to decide whether she will take the risk and become human…or remain a mermaid, at the cost of losing her chances at love.

Creating this was a time-consuming effort. Coming up with a concept, while difficult, turned out to be the easiest of any component. Writing believable dialogue that didn’t take up too much time was difficult, and subsequently cutting out some was also not easy. Storyboarding, while easier, was still a challenge, and the constant lag didn’t help. Creating the final product did not require much creativity, as everything had been written already, but making sure that everything happened at the right times proved to be a major challenge. I had to constantly edit the amount of seconds waited, or add new boxes to ensure that a sprite would be in the right spot at the right time. It was also time-consuming and repetitive, as most of it was a matter of copy-pasting dialogue and calculating the waiting time necessary

.http://<iframe allowtransparency=”true” width=”485″ height=”402″ src=”//scratch.mit.edu/projects/embed/222099042/?autostart=false”

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E4gaul4uEYnhbHn0v0jNm_NqGPvAoQcchdLSFtErV60/edit?usp=sharing

Click the above link to view the full process!

CC BY-SA 4.0 Is It Worth It? (The Little Mermaid) by Rebecca L. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.