Dear Steven Brill,

My 9th grade team are writing to you because we share some similarities on fake news. For one,we are getting the fake news and that lots of people are believing what’s being said. Plus, sometimes we donate money to the stories on their go-found-me and they are just taking our money, nothing is really wrong.

The issue we are fighting against is how the government and citizens are spreading fake news all around the world and people are believing it. What caused the issue is the government handing and spreading false information. For an example “Eric Tucker, a 35 year old co-founder of a marketing company in Austin, Tex had just about 40 Twitter followers. But his recent tweet about paid protesters being bused to demonstrations against President-elect Donald J. Trump fueled a nationwide conspiracy theory-one that Mr.Trump joined in promoting”.  However, they want to hide the real truth and just want to convince us of issues like raise money as fraud and like the Black Lives Matter fake page. For another example “The largest Black Lives Matter Facebook page had 700,000 followers and had raised some $100,000 to support the prominent racial justice group”.

In my opinion us people are harmed by the issue because now we don’t know what to believe.

There isn’t any tactics of social change that’s in this topic because we’ve all seen this issue on Facebook and the news about certain information that’s not true. Facebook introduces new flags to identify fake news. But, they started by having people report fake posts that aren’t true or they will give the publisher a fair warning about disabling their account temporarily for not following facebook guidelines. This is why we think this is civil disobedience too because people that put false information out there is refusing to comply with certain laws.

However, one oppression that matches this topic is ideological oppression. Ideological oppression matches this situation because not all people pay attention to fake news like they do Black Lives Matter,Immigration, etc. For example, fake news is harder to get rid of than any other world issue because recent research shows the illusory truth effect is in play when we hear or read fake news claims repeated, regardless of how ridiculous or illogical they sound.

To spread the word about fake news, my 9th grade team had decided to make plenty of copies saying “Help Stop Fake News” with an article and we are going to post them all around the school. These posters all around the school should help people see what fake news is and it can help us try to make a point to stop it.

Sincerely, Shania Brown and Sharai

“How Fake News Goes Viral: A Case Study.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 22 Dec. 2017, www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/business/media/how-fake-news-spreads.html. This website helped me find evidence on Eric Tucker.

UNKNOWN. “The Science behind Why Fake News Is so Hard to Wipe Out.” Google Search, Google, www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/science-and-health/2017/10/5/16410912/illusory-truth-fake-news-las-vegas-google-facebook. Helps fine the evidence behind fake news

UNKNOWN. “How to Stop Fake News on Facebook.” First Draft News, 29 July 2016, firstdraftnews.org/how-to-stop-fake-news-on-facebook-without-the-flags/. This helps by showing what Facebook is doing about fake news

UKNOWN. “The Largest Black Lives Matter Page on Facebook Was a Scam.” Google Search, Google, www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/identities/2018/4/10/17219676/facebook-black-lives-matter-page-fake. Shows good information on the fake black lives matter page

CC BY-SA 4.0 Letter To Steven Brill by Sharai is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.