• What play did you choose? What act, scene and line numbers did you choose?
    • Othello. Act 3, Scene 3, lines 207-223.
  • Which character did you play?
    • Othello
  • What did you learn about the impact of tone, inflection, volume and pacing in your own rehearsal and oral performance?
    • I learned about how in love Othello is with Desdemona. I realized in my rehearsal that Othello’s speech seemed to be rushed and even portrayed the sense of insecurity. I learned that the impact of tone, inflection, volume and pacing means a whole lot in the overall message a speech gives. The importance of these aspects of oral performance gives insight to the emotions felt by the orator. I used inflection in my voice when directing the parts specifically addressing Iago, and when Othello comes to terms with his own thoughts. Towards the end, I started to slow down as Othello’s thought process was coming to a close. This slower pace signifies a somewhat affirmative tone in the speech. Overall, I really loved this part of the play because it was interesting to observe the emotions Othello felt with reaction of Iago’s Manipulation.
  • What did you understand about the character’s traits and emotions as you were performing?
    • I understand that Othello is deeply concerned about the jealousy aspect that he fears to feel. However, in this scene, Othello acts on the last attempt to ignore Iago and to believe his own instinct that Desdemona is pure and has not done anything wrong.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Othello Recording by Judge Thomas is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.