• What play did you choose? What act, scene and line numbers did you choose?

Othello, 1.3.208-218

• Which character did you play?

Desdemona

• What did you learn about the impact of tone, inflection, volume and pacing in your own rehearsal and oral performance?

I learned that while Desdemona is talking to her father, she uses a tone that is commanding but also sweet, because she does not want to offend him. She is direct and to the point, and she chooses her words slowly and carefully in order to convince her father.

• What did you understand about the character’s traits and emotions as you were performing?

Desdemona is trying not to offend her father, because she loves him. However, if she has to choose, she will pick Othello, which she makes clear. She is torn between her father and her husband to be, and it hurts her to not be able to please both of them. She is sad that she has to distance herself from her family, and it gives her marriage a tainted feel.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Othello Recitation by Logan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.