Recently in Current Events, we’ve been studying about our history. At first, I thought “Were there any legends that could exist on the island and anybody would see? When I think more on this question, I begin to wonder if there is any legends in Puerto Rico like ghosts, monsters, pirates, conquistadores, and spirits in the tapestry of tales that help shape the boricua (or native) culture.” When I started listening to Hotel Transylvania Zing, and my first impression is that when I first this movie and made me realize that even though some people are lonely because the person that they love is somewhere else, that person will always love their Zing.

One thing that I know for sure about The Inspiring Story of Weeksville, One of America’s First Free Black Communities is that the community was found around the mid 1830s by Jame Weeks who was an African American. Now I’ve studied my share of U.S history and personally, it’s interesting to me how for Brooklyn’s African-American population in the 19th century, some of whom were recently freed from slavery, this remarkable town was called Weeksville. During the Revolutionary War, most of the people in Central Brooklyn belonged to the Bedford branch. Take a look at my research on the article: “The Inspiring Story of Weeksville, One of America’s First Free Black Communities.”  This article provided a lot of information and opinions on Weeksville had become a successful community of more than 500 people, boasting more opportunity for homeownership, employment and success for its black residents than any other part of Brooklyn.

In another source that I looked at, Weeksville, New York (1838– ), there was this one statement that made me nod my head in agreement with the writer Anthony Ramirez, It was: In 1838, only 11 years after slavery ended in New York, Weeksville was formed by a free black man named James Weeks when he purchased a substantial area of land from Henry C. Thompson, another free black man. This is so true because in the year 1838, a former slave James Weeks had bought a land from another free black man named Henry C. Thompson. Weeks then encouraged other blacks to settle on the property as he sold lots to the newcomers who named the community Weeksville. In 1850, Weeksville became the second largest community for free blacks in the pre-Civil War America.

During Weeksville’s success, I think that the Weeksville Heritage Center was instrumental because the houses had suffered vandalism in the ’80s, and three were renovated to depict specific time periods. Also by the 1930s, Weeksville had been almost totally absorbed by Brooklyn, and by the ’70s it was just another part of the huge neighborhood of Bedford Stuyvesant. In 2016, the center provides valuable programs that educate visitors about life for African-American Brooklynites in the 19th century.

The present-day communities in Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights can learn from Weeksville’s success because visiting the center is like stepping into the country in the middle of a city. Also, the mixture of old and new, modern and early-19th century, works. Plus Maynard made the Weeksville houses her mission and secured city, state and national landmarking. She also was a tireless fundraiser for the site, and the Society purchased the houses in 1973.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Thoughts about Weeksville by Joshua is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Nasay 3 months ago

Dear joshua
    even though i did the same project i can learn alot from your text.